Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost ready to crank over my early bronco project so I started thinking about what battery to use. Haven't decided if I am going to use one or two batteries yet.

What does the 4BT require for cranking amps? Should I be thinking about a deep cycle or standard truck battery. Has anyone had good luck with a particular brand?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Per Cummins manual 750 CCA .

1. use a gel cell of your going to go off road.
2. I use Deka's ,I have always got 6-8 years out of them.

CrewCab59

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,618 Posts
I've had a Optima red top in my Scout for the past 5 years, still going strong.
Per Cummins Bulletin No 3810205-14
With light accessories 12 volt starter 625CCA
With heavy accessories 12 volt starter 800CCA

·
Registered
713 Posts
I use two batteries. One's an autozone yellow top and the other's an optima yellowtop. With just the autozone it was questionable starting in the cold. Could be my 2 ga. wire run for 6ft. though. Who knows. It's great with 2 batts though now I don't have to worry at all.

·
Registered
73 Posts
In my experience, the size, quantity, and rating of the battery or batteries is of less importance than the capacity of the cables. My truck cranks reliably in sub-zero temps with one 750cca automotive battery, but the cables are 00 ga brass (not aluminum) with brass ends silver soldered (not crimped) onto the cables. Battery capacity is useless if the cables can't carry it with little or no voltage drop.

·
Registered
500 Posts
In my experience, the size, quantity, and rating of the battery or batteries is of less importance than the capacity of the cables. My truck cranks reliably in sub-zero temps with one 750cca automotive battery, but the cables are 00 ga brass (not aluminum) with brass ends silver soldered (not crimped) onto the cables. Battery capacity is useless if the cables can't carry it with little or no voltage drop.
Very good info. Like the gentlemen above I'd also recommend Optima or a gel-sealed type battery. I've got two red-top Optimas. on my Duramax and won't ever go back to a non-sealed, fluid type. I run a 12000 lb electric winch so the extra capacity and oomph of the Optima works out well. Going to go with a single red-top on the 83 scrambler & 4BT

·
Registered
152 Posts
i use the optoma red top as well no problem starting with the block heater fires right away...
only started it a couple of time without and started fine....
also was left for a week in the teens and lower, started fine.....
no complaints here...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts