Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The pic is from the front axle inner wheel bearing, 89 Jeep Wagoneer, D44. The closest I've came to diagnosis is brinelling. Static overload or shock load?
But there is no metal displacement, can't feel any roughness. The marks go all the way around the race, No marks on the rollers.
Anybody seen this before?
Don't know the history of the car. But it will have support a 4BT so new bearing it will get.

edit:
Did notice that the end play on the hub was way too tight and the bearings were pretty much dry. A high speed blast down the freeway would have caused a massive failure.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By chance has this been trailered? that can mark bearings.
Cheers Steve
I only trailered it once, 125 miles (200km) bringing it home. Other than that don't know the history of the car.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did some destructive inspection on the right side inner bearing. The race on it was discolored with a reddish tint (over heating) and had small deposits of metal on the race. And there was corrosion on the spindle journal and the bearing. All fixed now.
After I clean up the shop from this work I'll bring the wagon back in and pull the front diff cover and see what surprises it has.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts