Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's my understanding that a 4BT from a Ford-chassis stick-shift truck (Wonder Bread truck, etc.) will bolt directly in place of the 300/4.9L 6-cylinder in the '80-'96 F-150. What is the realistic cost of such a conversion if I have a 5-speed F-150 and find a running Wonder Bread truck?
I've found a suitable '91 F-150 SWB with a 4.9L and I think an M5R2 that I think I can buy for $800-1200, would there be much expense beyond the $1000-2500 for the bread truck (minus scrap, salvage, etc.)?

Thanks,
CD

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
I know on anything like this that I've done in the past, I'd put in another $1000 just for "stuff". (I've not done a 4BT swap, but have definitely put some engines in vehicles that they never had from the factory..)

Now, in that "stuff" category can go the expense of cables and wiring, fluids, paint, soundproofing, new fuel lines, custom / modified radiator and heater hoses, and other items you find that needs to be done at the same time. Some of those are in the $20 per item category, but get a few of them together and soon you're talking some real money.

AC alone can push up the budget by another $500 - $1000 if you have to buy a cummins mount, buy a new AC compressor, AC hoses, R-whatever you can get your hands on, etc.. I note that you're from Texas.. Might be able to get away with no AC there. It's a dry heat, right? :rasta:

And don't forget gauges. You DO NOT want to own one of these w/o a pyrometer. Sure, if you keep it bone stock, you can get away with it. Maybe. I, for one, know that I'll not be able to resist the urge to get "free power" when it's just a screw turn away. I've not found a full pyrometer (sender and gauge) for cheap yet..

·
Registered
84 Posts
Creeping Death

You should look very closely at the motor mounts on your 4.9 in the f150 vs. the 3.9 in the bread truck. On my 1989 f150 2wd with a 4.9 EFI the studs on the motor mounts point almost sraight down (towards the ground), On my 1985 E350 breadtruck the studs on the motor mounts point outward at about 45 deg. (toward the bottoom of the tire). The angle of the frame stands on each vehicle was very different to accomodate the different mounts. This is not a big deal I simply modified my frame stands from the f150 with a torch and welder to accept the angle of the 3.9 mounts. I just want you to know that mine was not a bolt in. I have looked at the mounts on a 1986 f150 4x4 and these look like they would bolt right on. Others on this site have done a bolt in with the 92-96 f150. Maybe the 87-91s were different or maybe mine is just a freak. You should be able to tell by looking though.

As far as other expenses besides the pickup and breadtruck. The only other thing that I bought was two 14' lengths of fuel line for about $25. I also used about $5 worth of steel that I had laying around to modify the frame stands and mount the electric fan.

Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts