Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have a pics or links to a belt driven Vac pump on a 5.9 Cummins?

The conversion that I just started on has the air compressor & P/S set up and the Cust want's to keep it,but the ford has to have Vac to work the brakes and A/C controls and misc stuff.

The other problem is that there is already two A/c compressors on the engine which one of them will go,and there are driven by a v belt.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
CrewCab59

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hitachi makes an alternator with a vacuum pump on the back.

Saw lots of those when I lived in Australia.

This would save a lot of time figuring out how to run the belt and in mounting.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've also seen the Hitachi alternators but I used a FORD Vacuum pump because of the additional custom shaft bushing requirements to get back to a 8 rib v-groove type pulley. Here's an ebay sale item number for one of the FORD diesel vacuum pumps; 260113947697. I used this and bought a smooth pulley from FORD to match this. I nested it in between my alternator and a/c pump on the driver's side.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've also seen the Hitachi alternators but I used a FORD Vacuum pump because of the additional custom shaft bushing requirements to get back to a 8 rib v-groove type pulley. Here's an ebay sale item number for one of the FORD diesel vacuum pumps; 260113947697. I used this and bought a smooth pulley from FORD to match this. I nested it in between my alternator and a/c pump on the driver's side.
Do you have any pics of your set up?

Thanks
CrewCab59

·
Registered
41 Posts
My 83 Ford Ranger with the 2.2 Litre diesel has a belt drive vacuum pump. Maybe you could adapter one to work with your setup. Looks like it would be pretty easy to adapt to other engines. I could take a pic of it if you like. :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Here's the Ford single diaphragm vacuum pump on my truck. It just runs my HVAC controls in the cab now that I have hydroboost brakes.

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
Vacuum pump

Maybe you've already seen one like this. They were on most of the Ford engines that I saw at Adelman's Truck Parts in Canton, Ohio. That is where I got mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A dodge has a vac pump and the P/S is on the back side ,but the air compressor mounts in the same location,so that's why the need for the stand alone vac pump.

I will start post pics of the conversion soon.

Thanks
CrewCab59

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
A dodge has a vac pump and the P/S is on the back side ,but the air compressor mounts in the same location,so that's why the need for the stand alone vac pump.

I will start post pics of the conversion soon.

Thanks
CrewCab59
why not run a non-stock v-belt compressor? unless you have the one that runs inline of the PS pump, it would probably be easier to find. a lot of people use York compressors for this duty, but just about any A/C compressor will work. www.kilbyenterprises.com for some ideas, there is lots of info on that. kilby stuff is really nice but definitely some $$

1 - 17 of 17 Posts