Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
You can try a mix of Lye and water. Careful, as this is a very caustic substance and very hard on human body parts. Skin and eye protection are a must. Also be careful mixing it as the water will get very hot. You want a mix sort like a heavy slime. This will attack most any grease. Probably will remove paint too so don't put it where you don't want it. Apply the mix with a paint brush and let it sit a while, Then wash it off with a pressure washer or even a garden hose. This is the chemical base in most drain cleaners like Drano. You can find Lye which is Sodium Hydroxide in some stores or order it on line,
Please No.. Lye can damage metals... if you want clean... Buy a quart of Acetone, a quart of Toulene and a quart of denatured alcohol.... available at virtually every hardware store... mix... use in open air.. wear heavy chemical gloves gloves.. and eye protection and a painting mask.. mask flamable.. drives very quickly... basicall carb /brake cleaner.. Sodium hydroxide / caustic soda / lye : useful stuff

·
Registered
178 Posts
The EPA and all the environmental nuts have made it so most commercially available engine de-greasers aren't nearly as effective as they used to be.

I've had some okay results with this stuff, but it takes multiple passes (usually 3):
View attachment 133890
It's 5 bucks @ Mal*Wart

What are you fellow diesel lovers using for tough degreasing jobs?
Any hints, tips or tricks to get that engine clean in a single pass?
.. you can build a better degreaser by going to your local hardware store... most carb cleaners and Brake cleaners are .. acetone, toulene and methanol... methanol is nasty to the nerves... all 3 can damage your lungs and eyes and interact with certain meds leading to stroke... so for a cleaner mix acetone, toluene and denatured alcohol ( regular alcohol you can't drink because of an additive).. and use that... I suggest safety glasses... a veyr open environment... keep away from flames or sparks... wear a painters mask and heavy chemical gloves and it will strip paints and grease... and dries in a heart beat.. just hit it with the air gun.. ... store only in a closed container.. in a cool spot ( like on a cement floor in the corner.... ) ... and as they have removed the most harmful ingredients... it was for your own good... benzene and humans don't go well together..

·
Registered
178 Posts
I’ve been using this for years. Works very well, especially if you’ve got a hot water pressure wash.
Engine & Chassis Degreaser Gallon Jug by WAB Products
CORRECT: Hot ( like turn the water heater up to 140-160 degrees... ) soapy water degreases blocks and head better than almost anything and quickly if you have a pressure washer and use hot instead of cold water.. no need for fancy products... a good dish detergent works just as wel in the pressure washer.. or put it in a big tug in the hot water and scrub it... Just make sure your rince well with hot water ( even a garden hose with a good jet spray works well for the clean up and de-soaping phase)... wear heavy gloves or you'll cook your skin.. I have done countless engines and parts this way.. and for only a few have i found a chemical is needed ... ( like brakes)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Forget the chemicals - I clean all my heavy equipment and big rigs with industrial diesel fired steam cleaners - It makes everything look brand new - even the most caustic chemicals can't come close - and most of the real heavy duty cleaners removes the paint off the engine - steam cleaners just melt all the nastiness away - (just make sure to set up a catch basin for the oil and grease)
Oh I agree... the next best thing is a pressure washer with very hot water.. but if you don't have either.. a hot tub with very hot water and soap and a good scrubbing.. you can build a tub with a 55 gallon drum shorted... and a large propane burner... and boil the grease away..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts