Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am noticing differences in the 12v gen 1 and gen 2 manifolds and wondering which will be better for heater box clearance and exhaust pipe routing on the Fords. The 89 manifold puts the turbo up and at an angle far away from the motor. The later (gen2) manifolds look like they put the turbo directly under the manifold closer to the engine.

In theory, it looks like the gen 2 would give me more clearance or is it not worth the hassle of changing the manifold and rerouting the oil lines.

Thanks.

·
Registered
292 Posts
What are you calling Gen 2.

Typical Dodge cummins engine families were
1989-93 Gen 1 12v
1994-98 Gen 2 12v
1998.4-2002 Gen 2 24v
2003-2007 Gen 3 commons rail

the later gen3 exhaust manifolds are the ones that put the turbo down at a 90 to the exhasut ports problem is all 24v manifolds have a diffrent exhasust port than 12 valves used so installing a 12v in a ford would necesitate using a 89-98 12v exhaust manifold unless...... you want to pursue using a F-600 or frieghtliner exhaust manifold with the turbo hung under 5 & 6 exhaust ports.

Personally when i put the 6bt in my Ford my turbo sat about 1" away from my heater box. I had not problems with just a heat wrap stuck to the box but later i built a thin heat shield and wrapped that around the exhaust housing and i also took a layer of asbestos and screwed that to the outside of the heater box..... made no difference but gave me piece of mind.

:beer:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gen 2 12v.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
The 1st gen or 2nd gen will work fine,no problems with the heater box . It will also depends on how your mounts were made !

Take a look at the ford I did ,you'll see in the pics and if not than I will post some more up .

CrewCab59

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Crewcab,

I saw the post about the 87 you finished up, are those the mounts you were talking about?

Those look different from the ones that came with the 89 6BT I got. Mine look like the older dodge gasser mounts only bigger. I was planning on using those.

Thanks for the info on the manifolds. It looks like I don't have to spend any extra money on that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts