Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting a 4bt in an 81 f150 and I was wanting to know which turbo would be a good choice for me. The engine is non-intercooled and I plan on keeping it that way for a while at least. My build is mainly for economy and streetablilty. The turbo it came with is an h1c but needs rebuilding or I would like to go with an HX30 or Super HX30 (Genuine Holset new or Rebuilt). Any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
... The engine is non-intercooled and I plan on keeping it that way for a while at least...
The non-intercooled engines came with an undersized turbo for a very specific reason - Keeping the exhaust temperature down to a safe level. I have seen melted pistons in a core engine, not a pretty sight.

As a MINIMUM, an Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) gauge if you start modifying things.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I would "think" that you would be OK with a 12cm exhaust housing on the otherwise stock H1c in a lighter vehicle with less drag BUT as Russ stated a EGT gauge is mandatory before adding any fuel.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
Basically, what the guys have told your. The HX30W series turbos work great on a 4bt. They have wastegated turbine housings to help with the heat. The problem having no intercooler is if you plan to step up the power. More boost makes more heat and hot air make poor power. As pointed out, the base small H1C used on the engine kept the EGT's low with a large turbine housing. Also results on sort of slow boost. Two gauges that are considered a must on these engines would be the EGT and boost pressure. On the Cummins road use 4bt's, only the 105 HP model had no cooling. The 120 HP had the water/air aftercooler and the 130 HP used air/air.

·
Premium Member
2,573 Posts
As long as you don't increase the fuel rate you will be oK with the HX30, but to be on the safe side you need to add the EGT and Boost gauges. And don't waste you time and money trying to make H1C work with more fuel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts