61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Looks like the wh1c was on the 5.9's from '89 to '91

·
Registered
10,776 Posts
Actually, the WH1C was only on the 1994 Dodge Cummins. It has the same compressor and turbine wheels as the HX35W. Prior to '94 the turbos were H1C with non gated turbine housings. The absolute ideal twin setup for a 4bt is supposed to be the HX30W with 44mm inducer and the HX35W with the 14cm turbine housing. That HX35W was used on some Dodges but seems to be kind of rare. You can buy the 14cm housing in both gated and non gated. The gated version is a bit pricey at around $600 where the non gated is about half that. That's one reason most guys just use the 12cm housing that is very common. The 7 blade compressor used on the 24 valve engines might be a bit better but still had the 12cm turbine. Stock 8 blade compressor on the WH1C and HX35W was 54x83mm. The 7 blade models were 52x83mm but those are hard to work in a twin setup due to the fixed position of the wastegate actuator.

·
Registered
10,776 Posts
That elbow is off the ISDE engine. It's about 18cm tall and the big end is roughly 11.5cm OD. Not sure about the small end and what turbo it is designed to fit. That is a series of engines built in China in 4.5L and 6.7L.

·
Vendor
2,639 Posts
Looks like the wh1c was on the 5.9's from '89 to '91
Almost all Blue Bird 5.9s used WH1cs years before dodge did. Guy scrapping buses in Phoenix has tons of WH1Cs, I bought 3 of them ran on bus 5.9s and all were from earlier years than 94.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Ok so I’m back to work on making my compound turbo setup. And my Hx30w has a compressor elbow that uses an elbow with a marmon flange but the flange uses an oring. Does anybody know what that type of flange is called so I can make my own compressor adapter or know if there is a 45* compressor adapter available for the Hx30w instead of the 90*. Thankyou.

·
Registered
10,776 Posts
Jake, if you're talking about the compressor outlet elbow, there is only one that I know of for the HX30W and it is 90 deg. Outlet pipe should be 2-1/2". Any particular reason you need a 45 degree there? Now, you can get just about any type of elbow for the HX35W. That sealing joint you are talking about I'm not sure was a Marmon design but never know. A good machinist can make a flange for that but you'd have to come up with a 45 deg pipe. I have those replacement gaskets should you need that. Those are made from silicone to withstand the high heat. That compressed air get down right toasty when boost get into the 40 PSI range.

·
Registered
10,776 Posts
Jake, I have one of those and no it won't fit an HX35W unless you have some sort of adapter. The exhaust on that unit is 4" and was designed for the HX40W. I believe there is an aftermarket company making one for the HX35W but it's a tad pricey at around $400. If you're needing something for a tight area, possibly Cummins part 3959261 might work. It's total extension is around 4" from the back of the turbo. There are several of those available on ebay. Here's what it looks like.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Here is a 3" SS 90* with a 3" bend radius I used welded to a flange it to get it to work ina tight application

·
Vendor
2,639 Posts
Ive used the tight radius Vibrant elbows eggman showed with good results.

·
Vendor
2,639 Posts

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
This is 3" welded to the flange for the HX30/35

Attachments

61 - 80 of 90 Posts