Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Jake, are you looking for the block stiffener for an ISBe like in that photo or one for a standard B series? The one for a standard 4bt is part # 3929093. Must consider when you add that unit you will need 2 oil pan gaskets, 2 oil pickup gaskets, longer bolts, and add an extra 1/2 qt of oil. The one in your photo for the ISBe series engines is part # 3970102. That one only works on the ISBe 16 valve engines because their block has an extra set of holes to attach it inside the regular oil pan holes.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Thought that motor looked like a isb motor in the picture I am looking for a regular 4bt stiffener. Thankyou for your help

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
I have several 4bts on my Quick Serve so I had access to the one in your photo. The standard one I gave you the part # for is in my Cummins industrial catalog. Last time I checked that part wasn't very expensive. Not sure how much longer the bolts need to be but possibly 5mm would be a guess. Not sure how thick that plate is. Here's a listing for the stiffener for $79.47. https://shop.moderngroup.com/3929093-plate-cyl-block-stiffner/ Most others tend to be in the $90-100 range. The 30 bolts for the oil pan and 3 for the pickup tube may cost near as much as that part. The reason for the extra 1/2 qt of oil is only so the dip stick reads correct.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Well I forgot to order the pickup tube bolts lol. Got 2 pan gaskets 2 pickup tube gaskets. Oil pan bolts but forgot all about the pickup tube bolts. Smh. The 2 oil pan gaskets cost more than the plate. Lol

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
The stock pickup bolts are 20mm which just happen to be the same as the oil pan bolts. Could go ahead and install the pickup and just get a few more oil pan bolts. Did you order 25mm bolts? The Cummins industrial catalog doesn't indicate what bolts to use with the stiffener plate. No specs in the catalog as to the thickness of the plate. There is actually a weird thing on the oil pan bolts. 28 of the standard size are spec'd as 20mm and the 2 in the rear main seal area are 21mm. Not sure that 1mm would be an issue if you used all the shorter length.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
I got 25mm bolts. Lucky got a komatsu sa4d102 on the shop floor right now with a stiffener plate. The komatsu 102 is pretty much identical to a 4bt other than no of the part numbers interchange and some other small differences but uses 25mm bolts with the stiffener plate

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
I believe you'll find the Komatsu engine is a Cummins. I may have a parts catalog that has corresponding Cummins numbers beside the Komatsu.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
I always liked the Case idea. On their part #, they took the OEM Cummins # which began with a 3 and replaced that # with a "J". Since they and Cummins split up, some of the old part numbers have started to disappear and new ones bear no similarity to the old one.

81 - 90 of 90 Posts