Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my injectors in for rebuild. Turns out I had 3 different ones on the engine. The shop thinks I should find a better CPL number to match the current configuration. They will then build the injectors as a matched set to match the CPL I give them.

Originally had the Holset with no intercooler.

The original CPL is 0593. I have changed to a HY35W turbo with a 1st gen intercooler. Any suggestions for a good CPL number to use?

Thanks

·
Registered
292 Posts
Get a hold of Lenny's injectors they have some first gen dodge EDM injectors that are cleaner burning than the POD's but offer the increased flow potential.

i think a set of 4 was $400. otherwise a set of 190's. rotory pump motors are limited injector choices.

or my last setup early on was an hy35/9 with intercooler and CPL 857 injectors pump turned way up and still the injectors werent flowing enough. so i turned the pump down and put the POD's on and rocked on.

·
Registered
854 Posts
How can you tell if the injectors aren't flowing enough? I have a stock VE pump (rebuilt to 4BTA spec, turned up) and I can push enough fuel through the stock injectors to make MEGA smoke, like a tractor puller does! It only cleans up after I have a LOT of boost. Seems like they are flowing enough to me

·
Registered
427 Posts
?

My local Oregon Fuel injection tech advised me to not go with any other injectors other than the stock spec as the pump for my 593 was an early design and the dodge 1st gen 6bt injectors would dribble (secondary injection?). He also stated that it was an early version that was improved for more durability later on and that if I was going for more flow then I should make some improvements on the pump/ change out some parts $$$. If you have a different pump then I would see if its all copesthetic. I am learning about all this and am by no means an expert. I would assume your tech knows his stuff. I called one supplier and they stated they had never had any problems with their high flow (191's?) in the 4BT. My motor has issues but my exhaust sure cleaned up a lot after installing the rebuilt injectors.
Does your motor have the 9mm injector holes vs. the 7mm? What year?

·
Registered
292 Posts
How can you tell if the injectors aren't flowing enough? I have a stock VE pump (rebuilt to 4BTA spec, turned up) and I can push enough fuel through the stock injectors to make MEGA smoke, like a tractor puller does! It only cleans up after I have a LOT of boost. Seems like they are flowing enough to me

you can make a smotor smoke like a banshee by loosening up the afc wheel. mine was tightened up. smoke off the line is the no/ low boost fueling and if it smoke then you have too much. what you do want is mid level and higher boost fueling to be consistant with your turbo's capabilities. what are your egt's at max boost. 1000-1100 then you still have wiggle room at the top to add more fuel. low end fueling and heavy smoke is just throwing fuel out the tailpipe without any real benefit.

what year motor?

·
Registered
427 Posts
198^

yep, that is all I can see on my date tag and the CPL tag is gone... It doesn't have the KSB so I assume it is an 86 or earlier(?). the last number is round on the top but that is all I can see so, 89/88/86/83/82.. KSB's happened around 86 I believe..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hard to beat cpl 858

That's the one I did. Just picked them up. Two were so bad nothing could be salvaged, luckily they had some cores they used instead. The other two were almost as bad.

Engine supposedly has 180,000 miles. Hope this makes it run better. Runs rough when cold then settles down as it warms up. Does start fine in 20 degree weather with no aids.

Bill went from 200 to 300 though. Makes the 190's more attractive. On the plus side they look like new now.

Now to go to Cummins and get some return line seals and O rings.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would anyone know the proper torque value for the injector hold down nuts, return bolts and Injector top nuts?

Thanks

·
Administrator
4,166 Posts
All this information can be found in your service manual:

Retaining nuts torque is 44 ft-lb
Fuel drain banjo screws in injector is 72 in-lb
High pressure fuel line fittings is 22 ft-lb

Also a listing of CPL s with horsepower ratings can be found in the service manual in section 3 starting on page 3-1.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts