Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

BF4M1011F how to diagnose failing injector pumps

11K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  char1355 
#1 ·
Currently having issues with the deutz in my bobcat. Engine is a 2001, 2900 hours. Has been very hard to start since I've owned it. I think part of the problem was it was losing prime. This model has 1 injector pump per cylinder. I'm convinced 3 of them are failing. When cranking engine with injectors out, hanging from their respective lines, only 1 injector pops like it should, this one bled the fastest as well. The other 3 have a weak atomized mist and took a long time to bleed. I've switched injectors around as well, all injectors work fine on the good pump. Heres what else I've done.
All fuel lines and filter replaced.
Replaced timing belt (started hard before this)
Checked compression 450-500 psi.
I am getting fuel to the injector pumps.
Shutoff solenoid and glow plugs are working.

I've heard a few people tell me these pumps do die.

This is the 3rd deutz 1011 I've owned, the previous 2 were great.

any ideas?

#2 · (Edited)
Sounds like you've pretty well zero'd in on the problem. Poor fuel delivery would definitely make it hard to crank if only 1 cylinder in 4 is getting good fuel. I'm not a Deutz person, but is there a separate lift pump? Maybe the injection pumps aren't getting a good supply. Deutz has used the individual pump design on several engines. It's pretty simple. If the plungers or bores are worn you may be getting fuel into the oil sump. Have you checked that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.