Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Preparing to swap a BHW into a 1965 Mercedes 220S but am trying to decide on a manual 5 speed for the project, most likely an AX15. I've read lots of threads and watched comparison vids, but cannot find the answers to a couple of questions:
Will the 2wd AX15 be able to handle the 275-300ft lb of torque I plan on running? If not, will I need to use a 4wd AX? If so, will the tail cone need to be modified to be strictly 2wd? In my searches, the 2wd drive AX's are noticeably cheaper than the 4x4 trans. The 4wd trans uses a 23 spline output shaft, but do I even care since I'll have to have a custom driveshaft?
OR, if anyone can recommend another entirely different trans better suited to my project, I'm all ears. I've looked into a Nissan Z32 trans (weak syncros) and World Class T-5's. Thanks, group-

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have an ax15 in my early bronco with a 4:11 rear end and an hxw30. I feel like I’m quick shifting so I’ll eventually put a taller differential gear in, otherwise it’s great. The bronco weighs around 3700lbs I think, so the torque is fine as long as you don’t dog it. I don’t know what your Benz weighs, but if it’s less than what keep puts those trannys in, you should be fine

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm trying to find the best manual transmission for my swap (BHW into a 1973 BMW Bavaria). Plans for the engine are balance shaft delete, replace cam (Colt likely), followers, head studs, and +1 tune (Kerma likely). Horsepower will be around 180-200 with around 300-325 torque. The transmission not only has to be able to handle the torque, but also fit in the tunnel and come close to matching the shifter location. The Bavaria left the factory with an automatic, so the tunnel is a little roomier than the manual 4 speed option.

Kodi nox

1 - 3 of 3 Posts