Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone playing with high performance cams in their 4bt? They are available in regrinds for about $450. That seems kind of expensive compared to my gasser small block chevy cams. I guess there isn't the big market so there in no mass production of them. The cams are available in a couple different grinds I think. The lowest upgrade is supposed to really boost low rpm torque and drive the turbo harder.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Maybe its the material they are made from. The shop I bought my 4BT from said I didn't have to worry about breaking in the cam and lifters. Sounded strange but maybe its better material than the gassers?

·
Super Moderator
8,975 Posts
Is anyone playing with high performance cams in their 4bt? They are available in regrinds for about $450. That seems kind of expensive compared to my gasser small block chevy cams. I guess there isn't the big market so there in no mass production of them. The cams are available in a couple different grinds I think. The lowest upgrade is supposed to really boost low rpm torque and drive the turbo harder.
I'm wondering if "driving the turbo harder" means they're opening the exhaust valves sooner.
Robbing the pistons of a little energy and hurting efficiency for the expense of boost.

If so, it'd be a good tradeoff for some.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know where the turbo push comes from but they said the fuel ecomomy would probably improve. Of coures they want to sell the cams.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I swaped out the cam on my 6bt and there is a big difference,just by looking at them.

Things that helped were
lowered EGT by 200*
1-2 more MPG
spread out torque range
it also changed the sound as well.

That would make a big change in the 4bt,depends on what your plans or mods that you have as well.

Thanks
CrewCab59

·
Registered
75 Posts
What cam did you go with. My timing cover leaks bad between the block and cover, I have to pull the cam out to reseal. I figure why notdDrop in a new cam.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Did the cam hurt bottom end torque under 1500rpm?

·
Super Moderator
8,975 Posts
I swaped out the cam on my 6bt and there is a big difference,just by looking at them.

Things that helped were
lowered EGT by 200*
1-2 more MPG
spread out torque range
it also changed the sound as well.

That would make a big change in the 4bt,depends on what your plans or mods that you have as well.

Thanks
CrewCab59
So what were the differences between the two cams?

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
57 napco

At the time PDR only had one replacment cam , it was also a gift from my wife .

Thanks
CrewCab59

57 napco

I rpm under @1500 no ,after that it was spread to mid rpms.

Thanks
CrewCab59

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know if it's "legal" to mention dealers names here. (Help me out leaders) If they say it's OK I'll post the supplier even the regrinder if needed. I don't have any connections (financial or oterwise) with them. For $450 I'll try the stock one in the motor for startup at least. It sure would be easier to change before the motor is installed though.

·
Registered
335 Posts
If ya cant post it, hit me up with a IM with the info. I am interested in a new bigger bumpstick. thanks, Aaron

·
Administrator
4,180 Posts
I don't know if it's "legal" to mention dealers names here. (Help me out leaders) If they say it's OK I'll post the supplier even the regrinder if needed. I don't have any connections (financial or oterwise) with them. For $450 I'll try the stock one in the motor for startup at least. It sure would be easier to change before the motor is installed though.
I think it's ok to say "I plan on buying one from XXXXX for around XXX dollars" or "I bought one from XXXXX last year for XXX Dollars" but is improper if you are a reseller or manufacturing a product and say "I can sell those to you for XXX dollars" unless you are listed as a vendor. I always let Dieselcruiserhead sort out this particular issue.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK here's the scoop. (I do not sell these, make these, or profit in any way.)
Scheid Diesel (shops in central IL and IN) will have your cam reground. I don't have any speicifics. They are on the net. The actual grinding is done by another shop in central IL that specializes in pulling tractors. The machine company will not sell the cams direct. Scheid owns the master and all rights to the cams. Scheid also specializes in pulling tractors and trucks. They are into really big turbos (2 and 3 stages). Anyone ready for 150 psi boost? I got my information from Scheid's and the owner of the machine shop that does the grinding. If anyone tries this let us know how it turns out. If it doesn't work don't blame me, please.........

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
why dont you,all just buy the genuine cummins hi output cam ???????
bob
I didn't know there was such a thing. Like I said before, I'm diesel stupid but trying to learn. This was my lesson of the day. Do you know how much hp/torque is it worth?

·
Registered
329 Posts
genuine cummins= lottery winning prices

independent shops= prices that dont require financing

·
Registered
329 Posts
true you get what you pay for. If it were some Ebay internet basement operation or a gasser shop saying them can do a diesel cam cause they do gas ones, there would be no questions.

We are talking reputable shops like Scheids and Piers and others who have proven themselves. Take a governor spring kit.......not Cummins and they work just fine. I think the independents prevail here.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts