Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone seen a aftermarket one? looks like u could make a upper intake manifold with steel plate,pipe and a welder? more air more fuel=more hp I'm going for 450hp twin turbo

·
Registered
228 Posts
I built my own. Its easy.

·
Registered
267 Posts
can you put some pics up of your bigger intake?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Like he said its an easy upgrade if you have some welding skills. I used 1/4 in plate, 3in exaust tubing, and a stock gasket and its held over 60 lbs. If I remember right you can make it out of 4in wide strap, and just grind out the area where the valecovers sit, and use your stock intake as a pattern for the bolt holes. Here is a couple pics...sorry there not that close of a shot.....:beer:

Attachments

·
Registered
854 Posts
Brut67, what alternator is that?

·
Registered
854 Posts
That is a Motocraft (Ford) "3G" case internally regulated alternator. I've had it rebuilt to produce 200 amps at 1600rpm. I'll get a true reading of the output once I got it on the test stand.
I was thinking it was a 3G but wasn't sure. Is it the Taurus style, Mustang style or other?
I would also like 200 amps capability!

·
Registered
200 Posts
you guys have some really nice engines nice clean work. is there a benifit making the intake tube bigger if the turbo outlet is smaller.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Here is another solution using 3" tube, no aftercooler.
Yours looks exactly like mine. I bored out the hole to accept 3" thinwall aluminum, and tigged it in place. I needed it bigger for the 3" piping required by the powerstroke intercooler.
Bob B.

·
Registered
228 Posts
you guys have some really nice engines nice clean work. is there a benifit making the intake tube bigger if the turbo outlet is smaller.
Think of it this way. Try blowing in a paper towel tube. OK, now try blowing in a megaphone. There about the same size where your mouth would be, but Which one is easier to blow in???

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Think of it this way. Try blowing in a paper towel tube. OK, now try blowing in a megaphone. There about the same size where your mouth would be, but Which one is easier to blow in???

Yes but would the added volume of the larger tube cause loss of lbs and/or intake velocity? I guess if you have enough turbo it would help fill air/air aftercooler? Do you have before/after boost readings? I may have to break out the Big Chief and crayons for this one. I have the JWAC so wont help me any.
Just wondering, Carl

·
Registered
228 Posts
yea, your gunna lose some psi but you will be able to flow more cfm, thus get more air in the motor.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Would larger intercooler and intake piping increase "turbo lag"? I'm thinking the increased volume of the larger intercooler and intake piping will take longer to pressurize. Thus, a delay before the engine will see increased boost and air flow.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Would larger intercooler and intake piping increase "turbo lag"? I'm thinking the increased volume of the larger intercooler and intake piping will take longer to pressurize. Thus, a delay before the engine will see increased boost and air flow.
Yes, a little bit, but it usually isn't very noticeable unless it is a fast acceleration type application, like a drag car.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Mallo986, help me out? What obscenely gorgeous work of motor vehicle art do my eyes behold there?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts