Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yeah good stuff, read about this somewhere else. They're also talking about mass growing algae to pull CO2 out of the Atmosphere and let it sink to the bottom of the Ocean, thus negating some of our C02 Emissions

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
I think its the big future of biodiesel personally..

·
Registered
500 Posts
I think its the big future of biodiesel personally..
Yeah, there's 75% water & 25% land on the earth - doesn't take long to figure out we cant do it alone w/ farmland. . Algae grows in saltwater quite well. They also say it can grow fast in really rich (Brine) saltwater so creating lagoons in places like Saudi Arabia would be more efficient than large scale operations like out in the ocean.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was just remebering about a episode of dirty jobs were they had floating docks where they would lower strings to "grow" muscles, if they could do that with algae in the ocean there would a endless supply...

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Very cool. I am very interested in it too... Thanks! Andre

·
Registered
77 Posts
there is a huge algae farm local to me,,, i actually took a tour a couple weeks ago. looking at all those rows of clear plastic bags with slime in them was different.

·
Registered
146 Posts
National Geographic has a large article on bio/alternative fuel. October issue. It's a good read. It has a section on algae with a picture.

Eugene

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
there is a huge algae farm local to me,,, i actually took a tour a couple weeks ago. looking at all those rows of clear plastic bags with slime in them was different.
where is is located and what is the company called out of curiosity?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Suadi What?

Saudi Arabia? Why the heck would you put an American fuel farm in the middle east?!?! :confused:

Check out this google map of the Salton Sea in the southern California Sonora Desert:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...977&spn=0.51738,0.884399&z=10&iwloc=addr&om=1

And then there is the Great Salt Lake with vast expanses of Utah's high desert to the east:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...973&spn=1.859984,3.537598&z=8&iwloc=addr&om=1

Even more interesting..
Take a look with the 'Hybrid' view of this area just off of the northern tip of the Mexican Baja gulf.. looks very much like the circular algae ponds you will likely read about if you do some research.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...pn=0.008225,0.013819&t=h&z=16&iwloc=addr&om=1

My point is, LOCALIZE IT!

Yeah, there's 75% water & 25% land on the earth - doesn't take long to figure out we cant do it alone w/ farmland. . Algae grows in saltwater quite well. They also say it can grow fast in really rich (Brine) saltwater so creating lagoons in places like Saudi Arabia would be more efficient than large scale operations like out in the ocean.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Alge

Lets keep this quiet so we can scoop a few more 4bt's while they are still cheap, If the so called Big Three started putting them in their new rigs they might begin to kick some rice rocket butt

1 - 20 of 32 Posts