Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all. I just installed a new temp sensor for my electronic fan on the back drivers side port and figured while I had the coolant drained I would put in the new block heater I've had sitting around for a couple years.

Well I got the wrong block heater this time, but my issue is that after I loosened the alan bolt it came completely out of the backing plate and the nut that it threads onto.

I managed to get the element pry'd out and fished out the large backing plate thing with my fingers. My issue is that I cannot find the nut/smaller plate that the alan bolt threads into. I tried using a small telescoping magnetic tool and can't find it.

Is that thing gone forever and am I going to have to pull the head to get it out? Seems like a stupid design; I didn't know the threads were that short or would let go of the rest of the assembly. How bad did I screw up here?

Thanks for the help!

Jason

·
Registered
11,996 Posts
Shouldn't have to remove the head because the block heater isn't in that part. May have to remove the oil filter plate and cooler to get inside the block cavity. Will likely need a new set of gaskets for those but they aren't terribly expensive.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shouldn't have to remove the head because the block heater isn't in that part. May have to remove the oil filter plate and cooler to get inside the block cavity. Will likely need a new set of gaskets for those but they aren't terribly expensive.
I appreciate the reply Char!

Yeah, you're right, I wasn't thinking correctly. I've had to remove that oil filter cooler before and I had to unbolt the engine mount and jack up the engine a bit to get clearance to get it out. Hopefully I can avoid that, but good to know.

Think I could find it with a bore scope and get it out with a magnetic tool still or do you think its unlikely to find it thru the block heater hole?

What happens if I can't get it out at all? Would it possibly stay lodged in the block or would it find its way to the water pump or radiator?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
A flex pickup tool or mini grabber as I like to call them might work better than a magnet. Of course bore scope would be needed.

It's likely it's going to stay put wherever it landed and won't make it's way to the water pump so you'll be find leaving it if you can't get out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts