Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i dont have a 4bt but mad props to the members of this forum and specifically Dougal whom has shared tons of info that i have enjoyed in the research for my projects. Now to the point.
I have a Mercedes OM606 and am swapping it into my 2000 TJ Wrangler but want a little more spice to it than the factory 173hp and 250ish ftlbs. As with most people i want fast spool and decent top end however i'm not looking to make world altering power. On the 606 related pages and forums the usual answer is toss a huge turbo on it and crap-tons of fuel so they make good power but smoke like nobody's business which i have no interest in. This brings me to the topic of this post.

Does anyone have experience setting up the Borg Warner R2S compound systems on non-stock applications? it looks like there is a k14/k26 system that i'm not sure what it came from and then there is a k16/k27 combo which seems to come on an international Maxxforce 5 4.5L. I'm intrigued by possibly fitting one of the k14/k26 systems to the 606 as it in stock form has a k14 and this would possibly be a mild performance upgrade but at the same time the k16/k27 is tempting for a bit more headroom if i wanted to go there later down the road. I cant find much in the way of information on these beyond the official BW press releases which dont go into tech info much and aside from that i dont have a ton of diesel experience so knowledge is much appreciated.

For some direct questions:
-Has anyone used one in a swap or conversion?
-for mechanical versions without the computerized vgt are the actuators vacuum or boost?
-am i wrong in thinking that since a k26 should support 300ish HP and the k27 400ish that i would be able to make that type of power with fast spool using an R2S on another application?
-how much space do i actually need to make it fit?
-what type of things do i need to know that i dont even know to ask?

thank you all in advance for being a highly knowledgeable and really relaxed forum, i cant wait to see what you all have to say.

Edit: I should add that from my browsing i think 100cc/1k revs injection rate should be a hair north of 300hp/400ish ftlb which is roughly where i would like to be but feel free to school me on that too

·
Registered
12,527 Posts
There have been a few swaps on the forum using the IHC 4.5 setup on a 4bt. Seems they worked OK but were nothing to write home about. A custom setup using an HX30W/HX35W pair has worked well on 4bt engine. The OM606 is a bit different animal than the Cummins. The OM606 is only 3.0 L so one would thing having a smaller secondary turbo could be an advantage. Something like an HE221W being fed by an HX35W might be interesting. That smaller turbo spools blazing fast. Some of the Mercedes sites show the HE221W as an upgrade single. It came with several sizes of turbine housings. 7cm2 is pretty common but there is a 5.5cm2 that might be better in twins. That one is Holset part 3782369 or 3782376. BenzForce has kits to adapt that turbo to the OM606 but are currently out of the 5.5 but have the 7.0. I'd bet that 5.5 would be a real shot in the arm single over the stock turbo and probably a super secondary in twins.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh maybe i need to do some more digging to find the guys that swapped an R2S onto a 4bt. The 30/35 setup is what got me interested in some small compounds but the plumbing is the part that is pushing me away where the r2s is all self contained plumbing included. I hadnt done much as far as reading into the he221 yet because i had understood it to be sized more towards the older more anemic engines like the 617 but i'm gonna see whats up with that. A lot of the sizing gets confusing because most things i see for turbo sizing always live with the "bigger is better" mentality. I truly wish i understood how to do all the math to understand how changing turbine size by 1.5cm changes how the system acts. i like the idea of the he221 over the stock turbo but the stock manifold has a few more cracks in it than im comfortable with; had a chance to magnaflux it at work and am decently set on going aftermarket with the manifold but that is the only thing for the combo that is really set in stone at the moment.

also for clarification when you say "secondary" would you be referencing the high or low pressure turbo? the primary and secondary naming gets a touch confusing because it seems some people have the primary as the small unit and some have the primary as the large unit.

and just to reiterate im not looking for tons of power just a beautiful torque curve and usable power from idle to about 4k as realistically im not gonna hit the 5100 governor often if ever.

·
Registered
12,527 Posts
Not sure which manifold pattern the Isuzu has. The HE221W is T25. You may be correct that even a smaller secondary turbo would be a plus and maybe a Super HX30W for the primary. The turbine housing on that super might be a bit small though since it's only 6cm2. Might ask member Dougal what turbos would be an ideal setup for that engine. That HE221W I mentioned is used on cummins engine in the 4.5L size. Maybe the HE200WG which is used on the Cummins R2.8 and might be a hot ticket. That one only has a 5.0cm2 turbine. As a stand alone it might be a little small but in a twin set it may have possibilities.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so many more things to think about.
I realized i should probably also mention i am at about 5000 feet elevation though i do drive to sea level and over 7000 feet pretty regularly so im trying to learn how to plan for that kind of variance.
I do hope Dougal chimes in as he seems to understand all the math far better than I and could probably tell me if its worth it or not. i'm thinking the hx30/35 combo mentioned earlier may possibly be the end result if these R2S units aren't viable for the application but the fact that they're already plumbed together all nice and neat with oil drains and all is super appealing

1 - 5 of 5 Posts