Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
This is great info. Thanks for taking the time to scan and post these!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know how to answer any differently! Yes they are used off road, what can't you understand about the answer?

I don't know anyone who has fitted one to a huge (how large is huge?) jeep, but large 4x4 Isuzu trucks for off road use, e.g. fire fighting, used this injection pump. Large 4x4 and 6x6 Land Rovers with this injection pump were used by the Australian Army during the recent wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

·
Registered
19 Posts
awesome, thanks so much for the replies. I should have been more specific... Does anyone here, personally, run one of the Apumps on a 4bt on-road or off-road. I am looking for someone with personal experience who can tell me if it is worth it to get a 4bt with an A pump in a vehicle or if I NEED TO STAY away from the Apump 4bt motor I am considering trading / installing in my jeep.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Bosch 'A' size pump is configured in many different ways to suit the application, different governors, different size plunger elements, different direction of rotation etc.

You have posted in the Isuzu 4BD1T/4BD2T forum. Both of those 4 cylinder, 3.9 litre Isuzu diesels use the 'A' size pump, with an 'RLD' governor for vehicle applications (the industrial 4BD... engines use a different governor). On a 4BD1T the stock injection pump, has 9.5mm plungers and with only simple adjustments can provide approximately 180 cc/1000 strokes fuel rate (enough fuel for 300HP at 3000 rpm in a 4BD1T), and can rev to 5000 rpm. Modified 'A' pumps delivering over 370 cc/1000 strokes have given 500+HP from a 4BD1T.

The governor in your pic looks like the industrial governor, I have no experience with that governor or what size pump elements are used in 'A' pumps on 4BT engines. I know that you can buy 12.5mm plunger elements in the USA, unfortunately they have opposite hand helix to what is required for a 4BD1T (because the pump is mounted on the opposite side on a 4BT).

You will get more information for you needs in the 4BT forums than in the Isuzu forum. I have seen a few posts, and comments concerning the 'A' pump and that particular governor.

The pump doesn't know or care if it is onroad or offroad, and will operate fine even under water. What is more important for you is the size of the plunger elements (for your power goals) and how driveable it is offroad with a governor intended for industrial applications, where the primary concern is maintaining constant engine rpm's when driving a generator or pump. You might be better with a governor intended for vehicle applications.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts