Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
i ran a 105hp cpl858 in a 6300+ curb weight truck. it ran fine for me. i was satisfied with milage, acceleration and reliability. but what would i know.

here it is pulling out TWO stuck vehicles at once in second gear, low range(2:1) 4.56 gears and 39" tall tires. i guess if i had 200hp, or 400hp it should have done what better????

i think 150hp would be PLENTY
it probably was 7400+ in the video, passengers, gear etc.

http://homepage.mac.com/ltalessi/iMovieTheater124.html

·
Registered
115 Posts
Not Usefull Information

·
Registered
800 Posts
you asked for weight, i gave you weight. my truck was slightly lighter than a modern crew cab srw truck. it drove 75mph and i routinely passed people on city streets and the highway and from red lights, got 25mpg doing it with 105hp.

you keep posting opinion as fact. im posting facts based on real experiance.

ill give you 1000 dollars cash to pull out the two mired trucks in my video with a 5hp briggs and stratton motor. gear it howerver you want i dont care. LOL

·
Registered
800 Posts
LOL. You don't need any actual power to pull something out when spinning the tires like hell isn't mandatory. To simply drive something out you can use a Briggs 5hp engine if you gear it accordingly, lol.

Our understandings of something being underpowered are vastly different.

If you like to have the power to weight ratio of a backhoe, then that's fine.

That's not gonna cut it for 95% of the world.
thats an UNDERSTATEMENT!

do you know what spinning the tires is for? you spin the tires because they are clogged with mud and you need more traction.

the bronco spun 32" super swamper TSL tires his like hell, and he didnt pull the jeep out,not an inch. and he had MUCH more hp than me. and 200ft lbs of tq slightly off idle is what allowed me to pull the vehicles out. and the other FACT is the jeep tj put it in drive and the bronco stood on his brakes once i had them both out of the hole, and you can see it in the video, trying to embarass me and force me to stop. i drove the "victory lap" for the guy in the jacked up dodge 2500 (42" tires) with a magnum v8 and no front drive shaft who kept telling me my truck was underpowered.

i believe the 4bt, in its stock form, is much more capable than people give it credit for.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Ill echo the above. Seeing the video of the 715 pulling out not one but two mired vehicles (wich if you are not sure what that does to the amount of WORK that must be done........ mired to the hubs you roughly double the vehicles weight to determine pulling force needed....to the frame, triple. This is a condensed version which the military has used and proven). There is a great write up on pirate4x4 by Billavista if you care to school yourself

ANYWAY, seeing the truck pull two mired vehicles in addition to getting out itself on 105 HP, I was convinced. 105 HP was enough to clean the lugs, attain and keep momentum. So 105 is enough for a vehicle. That is proven. Ill maintain its purely personal from there, is more speed wanted, towing in the picture, etc.

IMHO as always

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
i ran a 105hp cpl858 in a 6300+ curb weight truck. it ran fine for me. i was satisfied with milage, acceleration and reliability. but what would i know.

here it is pulling out TWO stuck vehicles at once in second gear, low range(2:1) 4.56 gears and 39" tall tires. i guess if i had 200hp, or 400hp it should have done what better????

i think 150hp would be PLENTY
it probably was 7400+ in the video, passengers, gear etc.

http://homepage.mac.com/ltalessi/iMovieTheater124.html
Good Job,

LOL :tongue: That made my day to see that,more people need to understand that ,it doesn't take a lot of HP to get the work done.

Do you have any close up shots of the M715?

Scott

·
Registered
800 Posts
correct.
1992 ford bronco, 150hp, 265tq (same tq of the 4bt, and 50 more hp) and it weighed 4600+lbs (curb weight on a STOCK bronco)
2003 wrangler TJ STOCK curb weight 3400+lbs.

so figure a 9200+lb mired force on the bronco and 6800+lb mired force on the TJ for a total 16000+ lbs and my own weight of 7000+ weight and for a grand total of 23000lbs of force was being moved by a truck in SECOND gear which was 3.04, a 1.98 to 1 low range and 4.56 gears. so it was the ever elusive not possible crawl ratio of 27.4 and about 7mph. your telling me thats low geared???

taken from http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/lowcrawl.html
A well built 4WD for the more difficult off-road stuff with manual transmission should have a crawl ratio between 60:1 to 100:1 - about 70:1, like in this example, is pretty good. With automatic it should be around 50:1
now tell me how my truck did not fit 95% of the world. 95% of the world? your kidding. i apologize if i am being led on by a troll.

·
Registered
800 Posts
i have a lot of archived ones (not on the net) if you have any specifics. the truck was a 100% frame off modification/restoration. i had not a nut and bolt touching (minus the engine/tranny/axles) and 3 days i had it RUNNING and assembled.

see some pics here
http://web.mac.com/ltalessi/iWeb/MV/m715.html

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think maybe the guy was talking about it being slow and not getting up to speed on the highway very fast ? My friends were telling me the same thing that my jeeps is going to be slow , i took them for a ride in the p-30 after i turned it up a lil bit and they changed there minds :smokin:

·
Banned
427 Posts
and that was before lee,s truck was tuned up . i adjusted the valves and added 10% of fuel to it after lee sold it and it drove real peppy. in fact so peppy i sold all my small block chevys in favor of the stock cpl 858 105hp 4bt,s . its all i,ll ever put in and of my conversions . i,ve drove bread trucks empty in the head wind and there very responceive . only drawback is there a little noisey which can be delt with easy . in my 1971 chevy 1/2 ton i,am putting a completely stock 120 hp 4bta with a 400 turbo , 2.47 gears and a 28" tall tire. possibly a GV o.d.
bob

·
Registered
115 Posts
Not Usefull Information

·
Registered
115 Posts
Not Useful Information

·
Registered
800 Posts
1) i never said anything about a backhoe. you did. you also said
LOL. You don't need any actual power to pull something out when spinning the tires like hell isn't mandatory. To simply drive something out you can use a Briggs 5hp engine if you gear it accordingly, lol.
put your money where your mouth is.

Imagine what my 943 Cat would do to those stuck trucks. Look at the power it makes......is that relevant? NO.
NO, just like your opinions vs fact. the poster is interested in a 4bt, not a navistar, not a drag truck, not a cat, or a briggs and stratton or whatever else you are spewing

ill stand by my earlier post 150hp is PLENTY, this comesf from someone who actually ran a 4bt. why dont you build one and run it before you spout off at the mouth about what anyone needs. you're only speculating. i may have no idea about racing one, i do have an idea about running one, and i think the original poster plans on driving a 4bt powered vehicle on the road, not an internet sled truck.

Since my pump & injectors might have to be built is it worth it to up the hp while their at it. I don't know how the 105 would feel. Trying to get someones opinion that has a motor producing around 150hp. Also how much hp can the stock injectors support ?
so how does 105hp feel? i answered him. you apparently can answer how 150hp feels.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Not Usefull Information

·
Registered
329 Posts
Give Sceids Diesel a call to stop spinning tires? McInfantry stated spining tires was not a function of power, work, or whatever this thred has turned into. Spinning tires allowed the TIRES to work.

How did that thought get formulated? It was stated that you spin tires because they are impacted and they need to be cleaned. A tractor rig has a lot of weight riding on its tires in loose dirt..........wihich compacts into the treads....which need to be cleaned......so they do spin the tires to reach a surface to gain traction.

I will disagree that you survey of the world that 95% will regard a 105 HP 4b as underpowered. Look at what people are putting in their vehicles and NOT reporting disgust, bad fuel economy, inability to attain highway speeds before Christmas, etc.

Congrats on almost 500 HP. Other than spin a dyno wheel, what WORK has it accomplished? It seems you are downing people with real world/proven rigs that are doing great things with less power.

Im all about opinions and helping others, but has this ranting really shed light for the person who originally posted their question? If you feel this passionatley, open a new thread at the least and debate there.......Ill post there when you do and allow useful information to be the focus this thread

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Not sure why I feel like puttin my pitchfork into this heap, but anyway.

Diesel HP and petrol (gas) HP are not directly comparable.

Firstly because diesel engines are intended for continuous use at their rated power, very few petrol engines will survive long subject to use at their maximum power.

It is quite clear that if you compare two engines with a similar maximum power, the one with the fatter torque curve will always be faster.
Why? Because the average power it produces (area under the torque curve) is much higher.

Diesel engine torque curves are usually very fat in the low-medium speed range, often dropping off to the speed where maximum power is obtained. Hence they produce a lot more average power and pull strongly throughout the rev range.

I make my living designing machinery (I'm a mechanical engineer). If I replaced a cummins 4BT or Isuzu 4BD1T on one of the companies machines with a petrol of similar power, I'd expect to be fired.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I say all interested parties meet in... oh, I don't know, the middle of Tennesee and have a Mexican knife fight, you know, duct tape yourselves together. I'll sell videos with all proceeds going towards..... ending this thread.

You guys are arguing from opposite ends of the same rope, and it seems to me that you both get the point anyway. Dang ole communication breakdowns LOL

BLah blah. The torque of the 4bt is impressive. The power it can generate at those low HP numbers is impressive. For a little chugger, I'm down with it! HOWEVER, despite what anyone might try and tell me, the 250hp in the 6bt in the garage is just going to be better at moving things around, like big loaded trailers.

As for being underpowered? Don't be so quick to say so. It really depends on just what KIND of work you're trying to get done. That's why I'm not going to be putting a 4bt in my work truck, because I'd like to get there this week. It's getting the 6. On the other hand, the 4bt is nearly ideal for the FJ40 I'm thinking about. It won't need to go fast, but it will likely need torque.

bah, anyway. I've been up for 46hrs, screw you guys! I'm goin' home!

/cartman

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
guys I unlocked as even though there is not 100% correct info in this thread from everyone I think it does no good to lock this one up...

For what its worth, I ahve probably had upto about 150-160 hp with just stock tuning is my guess. I don't think you guys realize quite how much power this is, faster than pretty much most stock V8s. I got pulled over at 83 up a 3000 foot steep grade on the highway with lots of room to spare with my 5500 lbs FJ55 wagon on 35s... at 8000 feet also... Thing was literally a rocketship, again more power than a V8, and like a wall of torque, basically unstallable, unlike a V8... Hope this helps.. A

21 - 40 of 83 Posts