Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started taking mine apart got the roof off and all the interior racks, ect. out. But the side panels are proving to be an obsticle. I have been using an air hammer and the rivets take too long to remove.

Do I need to sharpen my Chisels to a sharper point? or

Is there another tool like a cut off wheel that's better at removing rivets?

I bought a sheering tool but am reluctent to use it as the side pannels are pretty thick.

Also, what is the recomended approach to dismantelling the floor.

What about the glass?

Thanks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sharpen your air hammer chisel bit and go at the rivets on a 20 degree angle, and they will pop on the first shot. After you have all the rivets out pry with the chisel between the panel seams. It shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes per side. This is by far the best way to dismantle a bread van.

The glass is just held in with rubber gaskets, pull the gasket out and the glass should come right out.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
71 Posts
If your air compressor is small, you might have to let it build pressure. Do sharpen the chisel and follow the advice. I was able to walk down a row of rivets and shear them off with just a couple of blows each.

I bought a metal cutting circular saw blade from Harbor Freight and used it in my circular saw to cut the pieces into more manageable sizes. Cuts through steel or aluminum like butter.

Look at the gaskets on the glass you will see a rubber insert in the middle of the gasket. Pull it and the windows will pop right out.

·
Administrator
4,166 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I have a warm drive and metal blades, I didn't even think of it. I have a sawsal too but thought that would only be good for short cuts like the I beams. I used the bits just like they came, but thought they would probly work better with a shaper edge, I was looking for some confermation before I started grinding them up.

Any idea how long the edge last?

Also I have a 2hp compressor it could be bigger for this task but hasn't been too bad other then using the panel cuter with the hammer.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I used a regular circular saw with a non-ferrous metal cutting blade. It was noisy! I cut my whole truck up with one blade, but it was shot by the end. This blade didn't like steel. I hit a few steel parts with it and it really had an effect on the blade. I didn't want to spend the big bucks for the gas powered saw since I plan on this being a one time project.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts