Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '74 Bronco that I am doing a frame-off restoration on. I figure it's the perfect time to switch to diesel. A lot of people on this forum seem to have experience with 4BTs in early Broncos so I was hoping I could get a few pointers from you veterans. I'm planning on a 2" body lift and 3.5" suspension lift. Tires will be around 35". I'm looking for the easiest way to get a 4BT in there. Don't want to whittle on the frame or carve holes in the hood. I understand I will have to remove the old 302 engine mounts and weld new ones in for the 4BT. Plan is to snag an NV4500 and bellhousing adapter out of a Cummins Dodge. I might also snag a transfer case out of same Dodge so I don't have to plunk down for an adapter kit.

So, with these parameters in mind (4BT, NV4500, 2" body lift) how much carving on crossmembers and transmission tunnels will I have to do? What modifications to the fuel system need to be made? New tanks? New (bigger?) fuel lines? A "booster" fuel pump? I worked on diesel engines when I was in the Navy, but that was a long time ago... and those were Detroit diesels.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
ZF 5 speed and 205 seams to be the far more intelligent choice for a Ford 4x4 4BT swap. You're not going to fit a 241 case between the frame rails of an EB.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts