Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at doing a bypass filter setup on my TJ. The oil filter is scary-close to the alternator output stud and I don't feel like re-setting up my radio/equilizer every time I want to change the oil. I'm condsidering the Amsoil setup for the older dodge's; P/N: BMK-15Ea.
The website states:
"Light truck primarily Dodge with Cummins engines 2003 and older Kit will Relocate full-flow with bypass for 5.7 and 5.9 liter Cummins engines. Includes mount, filters, hose and fittings."

No listing for anything 4btish, however, the threads for the oil filters are the same between the 4bt and 6bt engines (1" - 16).

Anyone running this setup or have any recommendations or suggestions?

-Scott

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I'm not sure where that's supposed to plumb in, but I was considering it. I'd think a guy could run it inline between turbo oil output and turbo oil cooler input?

I've got a different style that I'm going to plumb in via one of the pressurized oil gallery plugs on left side of block, with the return feeding into the middle freeze plug there. That's where the stock one is plumbed on 4BT's. Not sure how stock 6BT is plumbed from the factory. Cummins makes a kit to knock out that freeze plug and bolt a large fitting over, sealed with an o-ring, for bypass oil return.

·
Registered
425 Posts
If I read it right it replaces the full flow with a bypass. I don't think that's a good idea. If you want to relocated it that's one thing but bypasses should be an addition to the full flow system. At least that's how I understood it.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Remote filter kit for Dodge Cummins is Perma Cool 10756

PRM-10756 at Summit

771-10756 at Jegs

·
Registered
854 Posts
There is also a huge price difference between the amsoil kit and the perma cool kit

·
Registered
225 Posts
For just bypass plumbing, I tee'd in below the oil filter where my oil pressure sender is located for pressure in. My oil pan has a second plug on the passenger side of the pan. I drilled/tapped this plug for the return line. If I decide to do away with system it will be easy to do.
Carl

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I read it right it replaces the full flow with a bypass. I don't think that's a good idea. If you want to relocated it that's one thing but bypasses should be an addition to the full flow system. At least that's how I understood it.
it relocates the full flow filter, and adds a bypass filter beside it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts