Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The conversion that I'm doing into an old Land Rover will be a "challenge" due to space restrictions.... Just what are the size differences between these two. Power isn't a problem since a 4BT in its sorriest state will be more than enough for what I need. So I guess the question is, if space is a concern which is the better way to go?

RW

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What landrover?

Well my Land Rover of course.

sorry, smart ass answer... too much coffee this morning:tongue:

It's a 1965 109 5-Door with a Dormobile conversion. Thus the extra weight etc that has me in need of an engine with more oooomph than the standard 2.25 petrol.

RW

·
Super Moderator
8,765 Posts
Well my Land Rover of course.
It'd be a hell of a prank to repower someone elses landrover.:grinpimp:

What plans do you have to strengthen the driveline and raise the gearing?

I have friends who've put 6 cylinder petrol engines in series II's without too much difficulty, so fitting a 4BT shouldn't be too bad. You've got the option of fitting a defender front end to gain some extra room too.

The aussie military runs a fleet of 6x6 series rovers with the Isuzu 4BD1T in them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The truck currently has a Salisbury rear end, so that bit should be fine. (Dana 60 clone for all you non-Land Rover folks). Plan is to go with the flow and use a NV4500 Tranny. Xfer box is up in the air. If I keep the 4.7 diffs, I'll need to take a close look at #s to keep my RPMs in the right range .

RW

1 - 6 of 6 Posts