Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had an H1C on my Land Cruiser now for about 2 years. As is well known, it is a dog on low end. I would like to make this engine intercooled and add an HX30, BUT as hopefully can be seen in the photo I have absolutely no room to spare. I'm extremely close to the firewall, and also have very little room due to the AC compressor. I have to run a snakehead for the intake. I have measured 8 3/4 from flange to flange on this turbo. Could someone confirm or deny that an hx30 would be even longer than this? If an HX30 is a no-go, would a "small" aka "baby" h1c have noticeable spooling on the low end?

Thanks,
Fred

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,975 Posts
Baby H1C will choke out, the compressor isn't big enough.

Your options are the HX30 44mm or 46mm Super (yeah it's a big compressor scroll) or the HE221 with a 7cm housing.

If you want Toyota and close to bolt on. get a CT20B from the 1HD-FTE.

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
Yes, the HX30W is about 1.5" longer due to the wastegate. If your vehicle had adequate hood clearance you could do a top mounted turbo and move it forward using manifold 3901635 shown in the second photo. This manifold can be used in the reversed position but will require a remote oil filter for clearance. See third photo. The more feasible option may be a cut down 6bt manifold as shown it the photo below. Should clear the AC compressor but you'd want to verify that.

Attachments

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hey Char that pic you showed of the China made exhaust manifold looks exactly lock the one on my Case backhoe

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hey Char that pic you showed of the China made exhaust manifold looks exactly lock the one on my Case backhoe
& something else I have been wondering , when you cut the ends off the the 6bt manifold how do you seal it up ? The one in the pic looks open

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
To seal the ends you weld a piece of stock over each end. It can be done with arc or torch. Main thing is to preheat the part before welding and allow it to cool slowly. A number of our guys have done them. They would be better to tell you what rods they used. I haven't done any welding in years.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wish i could but i dont have the hood clearance and also have a high mount ac compressor right in the way. Its a trade off i guess. It took me quite a while to finally get a good ac setup. I'm in south carolina and no ac isnt fun in the summer. I originally used the factory dodge low mount but only had about 1/8 inch clearance from the frame and it sounded like a wood pecker on metal when i made a left turn!

I still have the pump at stock so i guess i need to do the 3200 spring and up the fuel a little.

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
One thing you might take into consideration is the HX30W may not be as large in diameter as the H1C so long as it isn't the Super model. Then the cut down Dodge manifold may clear the frame. You might use the reversed center mount manifold but that will require a remote oil filter setup to clear the turbo. Not many other options.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts