Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone pull the cam and look at the front bushing? Mine measures within specs but appears to be solid copper? I assume its suppose to have a babbit surface? Its not scored or anything, just all copper. The journal is fine on the cam. Should I replace the bush?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Sorry I don't have your answer but just to say it's probably phosphor bronze or similar alloy rather than copper. Phosphor bronze is quite hard and durable, but softer than the cam's steel. It doesn't require babbit.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I guess I'm good to go. I figured it would be pretty hard for all the babbit to be wiped so evenly and still mike out OK.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Yeah, phosphor bronze is pretty tough stuff. That's what they made their swords and knives out of many centuries ago and they had no problems doing some real serious whacking and hacking with them!

·
Banned
427 Posts
the cam bushing is cheap and easy to install. if you got it apart why not just change it to be safe. do it once and do it right .
bob

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the cam bushing is cheap and easy to install. if you got it apart why not just change it to be safe. do it once and do it right .
bob
Yeah, I decided that's what I'm gonna do. easy and cheap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts