Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If i do a 4bt swap in a jeep wrangler, can i go to a dodge dealer to get both my engine and tranny oil changes?

thanks

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
Sure, you could even take your lawn mower in for an oil change.
They have the oil and mechanic, and you have the money, (but not for long).

·
Registered
52 Posts
My question would be this ... if you aren't going to change your own oil, who is going to put the engine in for you? If the answer is someone other than yourself: why wouldn't you have them change the oil?

I do suppose, however, that the dealer would still change your oil. They would be the ones to ask.

·
Registered
915 Posts
My question would be this ... if you aren't going to change your own oil, who is going to put the engine in for you? If the answer is someone other than yourself: why wouldn't you have them change the oil?

I do suppose, however, that the dealer would still change your oil. They would be the ones to ask.
I have done MANY engine swaps and extensive projects, and I dont change my own oil......pain to dispose of and not much more to pay someone.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'd like to take mine to the dealer once just for the look on the guys face when he starts it up.

"errr, yah. Can you check it for a bottom end knock too?"

-Scotty

·
Registered
915 Posts
I'd like to take mine to the dealer once just for the look on the guys face when he starts it up.

"errr, yah. Can you check it for a bottom end knock too?"

-Scotty
Hehe....all my stuff is like that. With all the parts stores having no staff that knows about cars I have to give them three or four different year models depending on which section of the vehicle I want a part for. Many times(to be an ass and watch them sqerm) I tell them just what it has in it. This morning for example needed a radiator for the 6BT crew cab GMC, "what engine does that truck have" says the cyber parts jockey...."5.9 cummins" I reply....searching computer franticly......blank stares to follow...."that's not in my computer"

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
That is fun, messing with the parts guy sometimes.
Often they just ask for it, I'll go in looking for some part, say a brake rotor, and ask for it by original application, (that's all they need right), but that's not good enough, they want to know what engine my truck has, well it has a 6V53T Detroit... And from the parts guy, "what's that..... I don't show one of those???". Then we start over, "I want a brake rotor for a 94 Chevy "topkick" 4500" (the front axle donor) usually on the second try they listen to what you actually said the first time...

Or the best one, I am at the parts store ready to leave just as my neighbor comes in. He brings it to my attention that I was looking for a set of intake valves for my 4-53T Detroit. I confirm this with the guy behind the counter (a friend also), that I am indeed looking for a set, must have forgotten about them while I was getting all my other stuff. A few minuted goes by and mu neighbor has to go outside as he can't hold back the laughter. In the end, about 10 minutes before I too can't keep a straight face any longer. A quick reminder that that Detroit's (two cycle) don't have any intake valves... And if he wanted to be clever (and correct) he would have offered 4 piston and liner kits..

Grigg

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Or the best one, I am at the parts store ready to leave just as my neighbor comes in. He brings it to my attention that I was looking for a set of intake valves for my 4-53T Detroit. I confirm this with the guy behind the counter (a friend also), that I am indeed looking for a set, must have forgotten about them while I was getting all my other stuff. A few minuted goes by and mu neighbor has to go outside as he can't hold back the laughter. In the end, about 10 minutes before I too can't keep a straight face any longer. A quick reminder that that Detroit's (two cycle) don't have any intake valves... And if he wanted to be clever (and correct) he would have offered 4 piston and liner kits..

Grigg
Heater core for a Corvair or valves for an 86 Mazda RX-7 usually gets 'em at the stores around here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts