Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1991 f150 300 six 4 speed 4x4 single cab short bed. I love the truck its exactly what i wanted except its diesel and i dont really care for it being 4x4. But that can change. Im wanting to build a....well....sort of prostreet diesel. I want the ability to make over 500 horse and 800 ftlbs. So i was thinking 7.3 powerstroke. I realize not the best choice for making power easy but i love the motor. Ill be switching over to 2wd and zf5 with a boxed frame and if all goes well then a 4 link rear end with a built ford 9" and tubs. Is mounting the engine possible? What about wiring. If i got a donor truck would all my parts i need be with it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay ive been doing alot of research and realize that post was full of noob. My question is. What sort of power potential could i achieve without spending 30 grand on it haha. And whats the reliability like at higher power levels?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Probably not the best forum for the 7.3 questions. For your power requirements I think it would be more easily done with a 12valve and be much less expensive in the end. There's are just a couple of wires to run to make sure the motor runs and one of those can be eliminated. You need power to the start solenoid and one to the fuel shutoff if you don't convert to a mechanical setup. I love the 7.3 but I'd say cummins. Most folks are trying to go from 2wd to 4wd, but to each his own. Keep up posted on what you do.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will do and i picked the 7.3 because i can get a parts truck and everything i need is there. Where as with the 6bt i need custom or expensive conversion parts

·
Registered
860 Posts
i met a guy that was running his short wheelbase single cab ford with a powerstroke---looked like a factory job--shouldnt be that hard....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How hard would the dash swap be or is it a bolt in affair? If its not to bad ill just swap the interiors haha

·
Registered
59 Posts
Why not go with a f350 that already has a 7.3? Then shorten the frame and put on a short bed. You'll also have 1 ton running gear that will hold up better to your horse power goals

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That would involve buying a nice running driving truck and with where im at most powerstroke diesels are WELL out of my price range. And i already have a 91 f150 single cab short bed standard to build off of although its a 4x4. So instead of having to pay a big initial buy in i can buy things a little at a time as money permits. And besides the 2 wd i beams bolt in and im swapping transmissions so no big deal. I just have to make a plate to cover the hole in the floor for the 4x4 shifter and get a 2wd 5 speed transmission cover. Ive done my home work on the 4x4 to 2wd swap and with dynomat and new carpet you couldnt tell it was ever a 4x4 unless you search my harness for my 4x4 indicator light or checked my vin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts