Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now im reserching what i want to put into my '79 F150 off road rig. Im looking at a 500ftlb 450+hp big block or mabey even a 4bt. i dont want a 6bt due to its weight.

can these 4bts produce that kind of power? i need to be able to spin 44s though mud and around the trails. mpg is not a concern as its just a wheelin rig.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
If your wanting that kind of power than look for a gaser,the 4bt won't spin the 44 in the rpm that you'll need to keep them clean.

Thanks
CrewCab59

·
Super Moderator
8,812 Posts
You'll get that torque without too many issues.
But you won't get that power reliably out of any diesel that size.

·
Registered
91 Posts
power

You'll get that torque without too many issues.
But you won't get that power reliably out of any diesel that size.
Have you thought about a 347 short block or a 351 they would get you the power you need at high rpms ,you can find used items readily available from mustangs since they are always selling to upgrade. The diesel engine is mainly for driving thru trails, rock crawling and towing at lower rpms with the low end torque they produce they are more economical since don't need to rev so high like the gassers. That is why you see many off road rigs carry so many gerry cans, At lower rpms the gassers drink loads of fuel but on the highway they do better, a diesel in stop and go traffic will do better than the gasser until you start pushing it above 2500-3000 rpm. You can a diesel to produce alot of power but it would be very expensive and the only benefit you will achive is torque but will not be as close to the power the gasser will produce. Try comparing an elephant to a race horse or even better a mustang to a powerstroke diesel. The powerstroke can go fast but it is not a mustang.

D

·
0 Posts
The 4bt has the cool factor, and might get the job done, but it sounds like the big block would be cheaper, easier, and would probably work better. Marine 4bt's can push 250HP, but I hear they blow up at those power levels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts