Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
I hear the asphalt based stuff can sell like tar at higher temps on warmer days..
I've had roof shingles in my cab for 2 1/2 years now and have not smelled anything like tar; only the after-effects of a good bean soup dinner. I used a urethane roofing sealant applied from a tube to hold them down. They have remained hard in 85-90 *F days here.

Huh? Can You Talk Louder?
It's a good thing you can write cause I couldn't hear that. bad-da-ba-bump.

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,632 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Not to be overlooked, there are many applications where you can use plywood as an underlayment for carpet etc. It's an excellent sound absorbent/block, is cheap, readily available and waterproof. It's easily cut and fastened and can be painted to help seal it. I used free scrap cutoffs of 3/8" under the carpet in my truck for years and it worked great.

There are a couple of types of foam insulation available too. There's the white styrofoam sheets used in building trades and these are great under your headliner. Really helps lower interior temperatures and helps prevent 'oil canning' in flat metal panels. There's also a similar foam product with aluminum foil on one or both sides. These two types come in thicknesses of 1/4" to over 1" thick. Can be used against firewall under carpet.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have a roof insulation problem. I'm converting a '62 Chevy truck. The headliner is formed steel. There is a bit of an air gap between the headliner and the outer roof. I had planned to use Great Stuff, an aresol foam. There are 2 kinds. One can really push things around. I used it around windows while building my house. It pushed the window frames far enough that the windows would not work. I had to cut it out. The 2nd type doesn't push as bad and is not supposed to distort things. The 2nd type is what I planned to use. To install the foam I was going to add a 1/4 nylon tube to the cans hose to reach way in. The problem is I can't get the nylon tube between the roof panel and headliner. I could cut a hole in the headliner at a few places and them later plug them. That may be a little ugly. I already have the headliner painted. I can access above the windshield, rear window, and door posts. If I could get this insulated it would help with noise and help the a/c keep up. Any ideas?

·
Registered
151 Posts
CJ

I'm wondering if I'm pissing up a rope trying to insulate my interior. My tub is Rhinolined on the floor and halfway up the firewall, and the underside.

The tub goes on this afternoon and I'm still undecided on what to put on the firewall. I'm going to look at a few things today (accumat and other things I can find locally that have been recommended on this site). I'm tempted to order a few sheets from www.secondskindaudio.com . They have something called Motor Mat that seems like it would be exactly what I would want on the firewall side of my engine compartment.

I think that I'll inevitably have to put carpet in just to help a little. My goal isn't to be able to talk on the cell phone, because I couldn't do that anyway as a gasser! A CJ or Wrangler is just plain loud.. it's a jeep. Just trying not to add too much to it...

Our company designs the coating equipment that Cummins uses and I've had the three layer oil pans in my possession before as sample 'fixtures'... they've been thrown away by the guys in the shop who didn't know what they were for... DAMN IT.:nuke:

If there are any new discoveries for the firewall side of the party, post 'em!!!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Don't forget the shifter boots. I could not believe how much mine quieted down after stuffing them with flooring felt.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Don't forget the shifter boots. I could not believe how much mine quieted down after stuffing them with flooring felt.
im in a jeep im not really going to worry about that too much

·
Registered
121 Posts
We never even considered trying to make ours quiet.

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
it was funny for me that the biggest gains in sound deadening came from running the exhaust out from under my ute, and the air filter. i can drive along at 100 km/h now and have a civilised conversation and listen to the stereo. it doesn't really have any sound deadening added to it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm tempted to order a few sheets from www.secondskindaudio.com . They have something called Motor Mat that seems like it would be exactly what I would want on the firewall side of my engine compartment.

If there are any new discoveries for the firewall side of the party, post 'em!!!!
In my current battle to tame the noise I've used spectrum spray on the firewall, tranny tunnel, and coated the entire inside (ditched the carpet). I sandwiched the firewall with spectrum firewall spray.

I looked into using some motor mat too but for whatever reason couldn't get my hands on any. I ended up researching for marine applications and found this place: http://hamiltonjet.com/pages/NoiseandVibrationProducts.html I used the barrier 104 and dexdamp for under the hood and on the IP side of the engine bay. I have noticed a difference outside and inside. The problem I have outside is that the noise just goes out the bottom since I'm lifted but the barrier has absorbed some of the noise. Further plans are to pull the dash (have to change the heater core anyways) and put dexdamp and barrier 104 on the cab side of the firewall to replace the factory stuff. I want to line the inside of the forward doors and replace the weather stripping. Then I'll finish the rear quarter panels and call it good. I don't expect it to be quiet but just take the edge off. As of right now I've already done that. In fact on the highway I hear my tires slightly more than the engine. I do like hearing the motor purr down the freeway and don't want to get rid of all the sound.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts