Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody out there heard of using Mineral oil in the fuel tank of a diesel to help reduce carbon build-up and lube the upper end as well as the injectors? I`ve heard that Marvel Mystery oil will do this also. Any input from the 4BT boy`s?

·
Registered
854 Posts
It probably isn't worth the money in the long run.

MMO doesn't work well as a lube replacement in the new ULS diesel, either. Believe it or not, walmart 2-cycle oil works pretty well for that.

·
Registered
220 Posts
It probably isn't worth the money in the long run.

MMO doesn't work well as a lube replacement in the new ULS diesel, either. Believe it or not, walmart 2-cycle oil works pretty well for that.
Just make sure that the 2 stroke oil you put in the tank is NOT synthetic. It will not burn, and just makes a mess of the inside of the turbine housing, and the exhaust system.
Bob B.

·
Registered
854 Posts
It will not burn, and just makes a mess of the inside of the turbine housing, and the exhaust system.
If you mix it at 200:1 (like the DuraMax forums study) or even 250-300:1 it shouldn't be much residue and should burn off

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
whats B5? just curious....
B5 = 5% BioDiesel, 95% Dino blend.

B20 = 20% BioDiesel, 80% Dino

B100 = 100% BioDiesel

3 common levels you'll find, with B20 being the one you'll see the most.

·
Registered
854 Posts
In response to the original poster, MMO does have some benefits on gasoline engines, where you are compressing fuel and air (and the MMO is in the mix)

In diesel engines, you are only compressing air. The fuel begins to burn the instant it leave the injector tip. MMO would do nothing as a carbon reducer in a diesel engine when run through the fuel system.

In the engine oil?
No thanks, I like to leave my Mobil Delvac unmolested.

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
In response to the original poster, MMO does have some benefits on gasoline engines, where you are compressing fuel and air (and the MMO is in the mix)

In diesel engines, you are only compressing air. The fuel begins to burn the instant it leave the injector tip. MMO would do nothing as a carbon reducer in a diesel engine when run through the fuel system.

In the engine oil?
No thanks, I like to leave my Mobil Delvac unmolested.
I'm surprised MMO doesn't help with lube of the pump and injectors..

I've used it for years in gassers with good results. But, like you said, in a diesel it's just gonna get burned up before it has any chance to clean anything in the cylinder. And NEVER put it in the oil, except as a flush immediately before a change in a gunked up engine.

Another consideration is the color. Those of you who regularly purchase Off-Road diesel know what I'm talking about here. If the fuel in your truck is red, your wallet's gonna be dead, if the wrong folks see it.

Now, I do know what will remove carbon... Water injection!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Has anybody out there heard of using Mineral oil in the fuel tank of a diesel to help reduce carbon build-up and lube the upper end as well as the injectors? I`ve heard that Marvel Mystery oil will do this also. Any input from the 4BT boy`s?
I've been watching this thread and thought I should mention something that happened to the guy who rents next to my shop. He runs vegetable oil through his Mercedes, got all that conversion stuff. When he first did the conversion, it shot lots of soot.

After about a month, it stopped. He had planned to do a tear-down of the top end once he got the veg oil working. He knew I messed with diesels a bit and had me come over to look a the engine.

I couldn't believe it. Every cylinder head I've seen come off a diesel has been covered in that black film, they almost look painted black. His was silver, almost like chrome! The tops of his pistons were fresh metal as well as the valve train.

So, yes oil (without the dangerous glycerin(?)) can clean the inside of the motor, but not sure if an additive or partial adding of MMO would do the same and as quickly. BTW, the guy's motor had over 400,000 on it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts