Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I know nothing about diesel engines, but I find in my new business (starting 3rd year) I need a step van for my equipment. I have an interest in a van with a 4bt for two reasons: 1) durability, 2) am very curious about using biodiesel to save fuel costs and to be "off the grid" so to speak. So, what I am curious about is how do you maintain these engines, are they difficult to work on yourself, can you get decent mileage in a step van buy regearing the rear end. I really know next to nothing about these, but am fairly competent in maintaing and repairing my Chevy S-10 pickup. Feel free to chime in. I look forward to hearing from you.

Chorusguy

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
1. Buy a Cummins B series engine manual and troubleshooting and repair manual.
2. This site has all the info you need.
3. Good hand tools and info above ,you will do just fine working on you own engine.
4. The vans depending on size and what gears they are around 17-19 mpg hwy .If you add a OD and or change gears ,mid 20's will be top's do to the size .

Scott

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
They are incredibly easy to work on, really not much to them.. But it might be a little intimidating to work on especially if you don't know much about diesels. But it should be fine. Top speed is 55-60 or so and they are a little loud. Great little delivery truck. Suffer from front end issues here and there and sometimes the steering gets a little loose on them. Other than that fairly solid as a rock... Totally stripped down, not too comfortable, but work great...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1. Buy a Cummins B series engine manual and troubleshooting and repair manual.
2. This site has all the info you need.
3. Good hand tools and info above ,you will do just fine working on you own engine.
4. The vans depending on size and what gears they are around 17-19 mpg hwy .If you add a OD and or change gears ,mid 20's will be top's do to the size .

Scott
Thanks for the reply both of you. Let me ask another question if you will allow. You spoke of adding an Over Drive or changing the gears. What is involved in adding an OD? Also, how does one decide about the gearing (I am assuming you are talking about the rear end). Is there a chart?

Thanks again.

Chorusguy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts