Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Ford Bronco xlt
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Needing some help on info for an A3000 inline pump. currently its a stationary pump and i was wondering if there is a road type governor avail for this pump that could be swapped by a pump shop. if not would this pump be able to be used as is for an on-road application.

Thanks

·
Registered
12,640 Posts
Somewhat familiar with the A pump but never heard one referred to as an A3000. There is a P3000 which is an industrial model. Which governor part number does the pump have? That ID plate is usually on the end of the unit. There are road governors for the A pump because I believe the Isuzu engines in the NPR trucks had that one.

·
Registered
95 Ford Bronco xlt
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok well its listed as a Case pump for a 4bt cummins. numbers are 86118877 F 002 A0Z 064 PES4A95d320/3RS2927. it doesn't have an aneroid and came off of an stationary engine. I'm wanting to know if this can be used for on-road service or if a road service governor can be had for a reasonable cost.

·
Registered
12,640 Posts
There are 2 basic styles of governors. The RSV and RQV. Yours is likely the RSV and you can drive those on the highway just like the RQV. It just reacts a bit different. If you're driving along on level pavement and suddenly run up on an incline that pump will automatically increase fuel to compensate for the increased load. On the RQV used on road engines you compensate by pressing the accelerator pedal. The RSV is sort of like cruise control. We have members who use those on the road and have no major issues doing that. The lack of an aneroid will likely mean your fuel economy won't be quite as good as a pump with one. Those vary the fuel based on boost level. Does the engine have its ID plate that shows what speed of operation the governor is set at? Might watch this little video which has some info on the A pump.
As far as changing out the governor assembly that can be done but may not be easy or cost effective.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yes you can use it on-road. I'm using the "a" style pump and works great, also great economy. You'll just have to get used to the way the pump responds to throttle input.

·
Registered
95 Ford Bronco xlt
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
have a new question, was going thru older posts and found one where the person posted that the A pump has a smaller diameter locating hub and the bolt pattern is slightly different than the P pump series. i should have my engine tomorrow or monday from the shop and can post that size then. could someone please measure the mounting hub on a P pump and post it here as well as the bolt circle for the mounting bolts or inside or outside measurement of the slots.

·
Registered
12,640 Posts
I checked you Cummins industrial catalog but it doesn't give detailed info on the pump since that isn't a Cummins part. Engines with the A pump show 2 different front gear housings. Their difference is the angle at which the pump sits when installed. Part 5264740 ( old numbers 3932539,3936259, 3991071, and 3964424) has a 25 deg angle and part 3932120 has a 35 deg angle. The gear housing for a P pump is part 3920519 which has been replaced by part 3936256. Since none of the part numbers match one would assume the two styles of pump mountings are different.

·
Registered
95 Ford Bronco xlt
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you for the info, that makes sense after looking at different gear housing pics. now i can understand why the bolt patterns are different. it seems the 5264740 part doesn't come up much in searching. one possibility on the 35 deg mounting is the shut off solenoid mounts between the pump and engine.

·
Registered
12,640 Posts
That 5264740 part number is very new and most info you might find will be in one of the older numbers. Not sure of all the reasons for different pump angles but one could be a provision for an air compressor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts