Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever buy equipment paint direct from the equipment dealer? What did you buy? How has it held up? Any conclusions?

Thanks,

Roy

·
Registered
2,407 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. Were you using the gloss, semi-gloss, or flat versions? Were were you buying it?

I painted my frame with Valspar Tractor paint, and it seems to have worked well. That paint seems to be harder to find now.

Roy

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
IIRC I got it from Grainger, but doing a quick search it looks like it's a bit difficult to locate.
If you cant locate it let me know as the Wife works for the Co. that owner rust-olium and I'll have her find a dealer near you.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.

There are a number of dealers near me...I don't know if they will order products. If I go this route, and I can't find an ordering dealer, I'll be in touch.

I probably will not be painting the cab until next spring/summer.

Roy

·
Registered
26 Posts
Anyone ever buy equipment paint direct from the equipment dealer? What did you buy? How has it held up? Any conclusions?

Thanks,

Roy
Yeah I did, Cat yellow and the only place I could find real cat yellow was a cat dealer, about $12 a can. Bought 6 cans to paint a Ford 7.3 cat yellow because the owner didn't want it black, he was heading towards Oval Blue and I stopped him, it wasn't hard once I suggested the cat yellow. It looked nice in there too. Way better than black or Oval Blue. I put about 8 coats on it by the time I was done with it. I had done a complete rebuild on it, new pistons the whole works, even a new oil pan, looks real good yellow showing under the truck. Around $3k just for the engine block then there was the rebuilt upgraded turbo and the stainless up pipes with insulation wrapped, and high priced 4 " turbo inlet assembly with a bigger comp wheel to compliment the programmable EDGE performance ECM and the 5 inch exhaust system. Truck is a beast! It almost looks like a 32 series Cat in there now. It might fool a noob for a little while aside from the fact the 32's a bit bigger than a 7.3. I also used to be in charge of a fleet of 3406 Cats in semis and overhauled a few of them and used Cat yellow although at that time, I was able to get the Cat yellow at the local parts house in the town I was working in. Paint is paint and it really depends no prep of the surface, if you get a good clean surface it should hold up as good as any paint intended for the purpose. Obviously you can't use a paint not rated for temps on hot surfaces, or paint not rated for solvents and oils on engine blocks.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I did, Cat yellow and the only place I could find real cat yellow was a cat dealer, about $12 a can. Bought 6 cans to paint a Ford 7.3 cat yellow because the owner didn't want it black, he was heading towards Oval Blue and I stopped him, it wasn't hard once I suggested the cat yellow. It looked nice in there too. Way better than black or Oval Blue. I put about 8 coats on it by the time I was done with it. I had done a complete rebuild on it, new pistons the whole works, even a new oil pan, looks real good yellow showing under the truck. Around $3k just for the engine block then there was the rebuilt upgraded turbo and the stainless up pipes with insulation wrapped, and high priced 4 " turbo inlet assembly with a bigger comp wheel to compliment the programmable EDGE performance ECM and the 5 inch exhaust system. Truck is a beast! It almost looks like a 32 series Cat in there now. It might fool a noob for a little while aside from the fact the 32's a bit bigger than a 7.3. I also used to be in charge of a fleet of 3406 Cats in semis and overhauled a few of them and used Cat yellow although at that time, I was able to get the Cat yellow at the local parts house in the town I was working in. Paint is paint and it really depends no prep of the surface, if you get a good clean surface it should hold up as good as any paint intended for the purpose. Obviously you can't use a paint not rated for temps on hot surfaces, or paint not rated for solvents and oils on engine blocks.
Cool. What size were those cans?

Got a pic of the truck?

Roy

·
Registered
26 Posts
Cool. What size were those cans?

Got a pic of the truck?

Roy
A little larger than what you get from a hardware store and I have pics before it went in engine bay none of the truck unfortunately on my phone not on computer and can't transfer to PC yet, having issue with going from Apple I phone to PC windows. Truck is a 03 or 02 don't recall which F350 4x4 dually extended cab burnt bronze color. I didn't get to install engine as I had health issues shut me down. The owner and another friend of ours helped him finish the job. They all look the same these days, dented ad scratched. The fellow that owns it is a retired tire re treader that used to own the TReadrite Tire Company that was in Hot Springs, S.D. until it was sold and moved to Tex. and went down hill from there, They used to be the best tires made as far as retreads. Now the family only deals in RV and trailer tires. He says it will be his last truck as he is in his late 60's. It's likely to be my last job as well as I am in my early 60's with pretty serious problems now. As they say a little hard work won't hurt you but a lot of hard work will kill you. I've had a lot of hard work. Lucky I made it this far, almost didn't see my 40th, was without a pulse arriving at the hospital in Sept. 1999.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I understand the Apple-to-anything-else problems. I, it seems, am always bumping into IOS to Android limits.

I, too, think I am building my "last" truck as it is nowhere near done and I'm 65.

Roy

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm contemplating painting my 5.9 Cummins Cat yellow in my Dodge W350 with some gloss black like a 3406E is done with the rocker covers. I just don't know how it would look with a lot of polished aluminum tubes and stainless braided hoses and either black, or red silicone boost connections. My truck is pretty ugly outside, but I want to make it look like a sleeper truck and when I open the hood up, I don't want to see a bunch of oil and crud and rust. Going to replace all the block plugs with brass and mill off the intake and build an aluminum or stainless intake, a billet front cover plate and side tappet cover plate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts