Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has to be a few people running home-brewed bio in colorado. Where do you get your catalyst from. I know that i can walk into lowes and bye small containers of lye (drain cleaner type), but what about bulk lye and koh? The stuff from lowes is expensive $13 for 2lbs, although it works great. I found the link for it from a soap making website. It is 100% sodium hydroxide and do this date i have only got one incomplete reaction doing dr. pepper mixes. However we recently bought a 2000 Dodge Ram 3500 and were wanting to run a bio-mix through it. We use about 30gals of diesel a week through it daily driving, and occasionally this number goes way up on long trips. Any local sources were we can get say 50# of either NaOH or KOH, KOH being preferred? I am in the denver area. As of now we are planning anywhere between 20-50% bio-diesel mix with ULSD diesel. I would prefer KOH since it dissolves easier in the methanol.

·
Registered
169 Posts
There has to be a few people running home-brewed bio in colorado. Where do you get your catalyst from. I know that i can walk into lowes and bye small containers of lye (drain cleaner type), but what about bulk lye and koh? The stuff from lowes is expensive $13 for 2lbs, although it works great. I found the link for it from a soap making website. It is 100% sodium hydroxide and do this date i have only got one incomplete reaction doing dr. pepper mixes. However we recently bought a 2000 Dodge Ram 3500 and were wanting to run a bio-mix through it. We use about 30gals of diesel a week through it daily driving, and occasionally this number goes way up on long trips. Any local sources were we can get say 50# of either NaOH or KOH, KOH being preferred? I am in the denver area. As of now we are planning anywhere between 20-50% bio-diesel mix with ULSD diesel. I would prefer KOH since it dissolves easier in the methanol.
I'm sure you know but LYE is on of the main items used to make METH. It's now a listed and tracked item by the DEA. One can get bulk LYE from any ranch and supply store but be prepared to fill out paperwork and have your amount used and home watched closely.

One thing to think about...if you start to buy LYE for the sole purpose or making fuel, the FEDS could get wind of it and start to charge a "road tax fee" on it. Gotta love the FEDS.:dustin:

·
Registered
169 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
I wasn't aware lye is on a meth list, never heard that before... Anyway, I use KOH. There are several chemical suppliers in Salt Lake City. About $50-$60 for a 50 lb bag. Used to be $40. Brews much cleaner and always yields liquid by-product, much more worth it IMO. You can find it, start with chemical suppliers. Every major city has one. Prices vary considerably so definetely call around. If you find prices near mine you are in good shape.

·
Registered
169 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kinda digging this one up from the grave but i am still in search. I am not worried about the feds. Road tax would suck but truthfully its still cheaper than the $4 a gallon norm around here for diesel. Is KOH available at the farm and supply stores also? I am starting to learn more towards it since this roebic lye is a real pain to mix.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts