Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to have to move my dipstick since I changed pans. I thought that the original dipstick from the front sump pan was going to work, but that pan was a little different than the dodge pan I put on the engine. I put 11qts(dodge capacity) in the pan and still is not showing on the dipstick, and there is still no oil showing on the dipstick.

Currently, the dipstick is in the middle location and I need to put a dodge dipstick in the rear location. What I need to know is how the holes are plugged and what the best way is to remove the plug. As best I can tell it looks like a slug or plut of some sort, but I have not messed with it yet. My thought was that I could drill it and use a screw to pull it out.....anyone done this or know how?

·
Registered
696 Posts
AFAIK they are like small freeze plugs, they can be removed as you say. I would have thought it would have been easier to tap them out from the inside but using a screw will work. My 6BT is non Dodge and holds 15 litres.

Gaza

·
Administrator
4,164 Posts
You need to use a pin punch and tap everything from the oil pan side outward. You have a ninety percent chance of breaking the dipstick tube off right in the center of the "bell flare" where it enters the block when ever you start twisting the tube from the outside. I learned this the hard way.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. While I realize it would be best to do it from the inside, that would require engine removal which I am not real kean on since I just got it in and running.

I have dug little freeze plugs like that out and usually a self tapping screw and a washer will pull them out. I will give that a try.

As for the old dipstick tube, I will just cut it and plug it with an appropriate sized bolt.

Thanks,

Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts