Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I am correctly informed, if our lift pump quits the engine will continue to run but will eventually ruin the injector pump. Most of the time when I shut down the engine this setup will show pressure for days. Anytime you have the hood up just glance at the gage and you know if everything is OK. I used 5/16" compression "T" and cheap MrGasket gage. Cut off most of the center threads, drill and tap with 1/8 pipe, gage will screw right in for a nice compact unit. Add a couple :beer: , sit back and enjoy!
Carl

Attachments

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
If I am correctly informed, if our lift pump quits the engine will continue to run but will eventually ruin the injector pump. Most of the time when I shut down the engine this setup will show pressure for days. Anytime you have the hood up just glance at the gage and you know if everything is OK. I used 5/16" compression "T" and cheap MrGasket gage. Cut off most of the center threads, drill and tap with 1/8 pipe, gage will screw right in for a nice compact unit. Add a couple :beer: , sit back and enjoy!
Carl
Why not put the gage inside the cab, visible at all times?

·
Registered
179 Posts
What pressure range on the pump ? ntx

ttt

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure Mooktank, that is definately an option if you like a lot of gages. Im personally trying to figure out how to mount the ones that I have to have in the cab (tach, pyro, boost) "blend in" and not look so cluttered. This only requires an occasional glance so its outa-there.
Carl

·
Registered
126 Posts
"...It would be nice to have a light which went on when the pressure dropped below 3psi or so. Compact and you don't need to open the hood!..."

That's a good one, have the light show good on every start and somehow calibrate it to light with less than (3-4 lbs), otherwise it would be off and not distracting.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey now, I like the light idea. Could wire it to my factory "seat belt" light and not have any additional clutter. Key on- light on, so I know its working. Start engine-light goes out, everything is cool.:D
Carl

·
Registered
335 Posts
you sure theres not a lift pump on the back of the engine, driver side?
I was reading through the VE manual last night, and ran across where it said that a lift pump is only needed if the lines are too long, or the tank is too low, and that it has its own buit in lift pump to supply the high pressure side. I would think that a stock motor, in a truck would be just fine. But now if anything was "tweeked" then it would be a valuable upgrade for piece of mind. IMO I would rather always rather have a constant supply of cool fuel to the pump, and what it dosnt need gets sent back to the tank to start all over again. You can find the PDF for the VE pumps in the sticky section if anyone new hasnt seen them yet...Later

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Nice, tidy, inexpensive gauge install, Carl, THANKS! I think Geno's also sells a drilled/tapped banjo fitting screw to allow a guage line to be attached there too. Gauge before and after filter allows us to see how the filter is doing.

I've heard that the VE pump will last a lot longer with a lift pump to help it out. Makes sense, but not mandatory.

·
Administrator
4,164 Posts
I think it is the VP series pump that is highly prone to failure especially when the electric lift pump in the tank fails and then acts as a restriction in the fuel line. The VP then gets hot and cooks itself into failure.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Is the VE pump fuel cooled like the VP? The return line from the injectors is awefully small, and unless i'm missing something, that's the only fuel that's being returned to the tank...

·
Registered
335 Posts
Is the VE pump fuel cooled like the VP? The return line from the injectors is awefully small, and unless i'm missing something, that's the only fuel that's being returned to the tank...
Mine came with the small line from the injectors, and a line from the VE pump tied together that is returned to the tank. The manual says that the return line from the pump is self regulating to keep a certain pressure in the pump at all times. This would keep new, cool fuel cerculating through the pump.

I had to find out the hard way that a dead lift pump is a steak through the heart for the VP pump:( and would be the same for the VE... A pressure switch, and light is a nice way to make sure that your cheap lift pump isnt killing your expensive injection pump.. my2cents
Oh, I unhooked the small return line, and put in into a fuel jug the other night. I was amazed that that little line put out about a gallon a minute!

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Mine came with the small line from the injectors, and a line from the VE pump tied together that is returned to the tank. The manual says that the return line from the pump is self regulating to keep a certain pressure in the pump at all times. This would keep new, cool fuel cerculating through the pump.

I had to find out the hard way that a dead lift pump is a steak through the heart for the VP pump:( and would be the same for the VE... A pressure switch, and light is a nice way to make sure that your cheap lift pump isnt killing your expensive injection pump.. my2cents
Oh, I unhooked the small return line, and put in into a fuel jug the other night. I was amazed that that little line put out about a gallon a minute!
I have to agree. There's many things that many guys get away with, no problem. The lift pump is one of them. I found a cheap replacement for like 50 bucks, so at the price I don't want to chance putting a strain on the VE pump. True, many Cummins setups can work fine without one, especially 4BT's, but I can't afford a new injection pump so not taking any chances. It would be just my luck.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts