Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so ive been searching and searching and can't seem to find any good information on doing a 4bt swap into my 1995 Jeep cherokee xj right now its got the stock 4.0 litre 6 cylinder I6 in it and an AW4 transmission. and np231 transfer case. so im looking to find some one whos already done this. also some questions i have up front are:
1. can i bolt a 4bt up to my transmission or have to get a new one?
2. if i have to get a new one ive read about a dodge transmission and a ford (but have a thing against fords) but would i have to cut or modify anything to get this to fit?
3. ive heard this engine is really heavy is that really that big of a deal?
4. does anyone know if this engine is taller than the 4.0. clearence issues.
these are all the questions i can think of right now
Thanks,
Jack

·
Registered
37 Posts
Check out novak conversions for adapters from the jeep to Chevy pattern. Could be a sweet rig, depending on how off the wall you get.

·
Registered
70 Posts
This is a heavy engine. You will need a lift, most likely long arms, for everything to fit.
You will have to cut up your trans tunnel to fit the NV4500 trans.
The engine is bigger the 4.0L.

Do a search for DieselZJ's build. It's a ZJ but it's similar to the XJ.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm with ILikeMud here - if putting a 700lb 4BT into the front of an XJ, I'd want to go with a Rusty's long-arm suspension, because a 6" lift on stock arms would likely become sink to a 4-5" lift in the front due to spring compression from the 4BT weight.

Maybe a 3.3 Isuzu would be better. I've bought/fixed/owned/sold seven XJ Cherokees over the years, and wouldn't want to load too much weight in the front with the unibody. Others might disagree, though.

On an XJ, you can always tell IF the unibody's been stressed at some point (accident, offroad twisting, etc) by checking the top corner of the rear D-pillars for for rust or paint bubbles.

My friend borrowed a '95 XJ and clipped a deer at 35-40mph. At the time, I only had to replace the grill/headlight assembly, bend back the RF fender into place, etc, and it looked good. But less than a year later, rust bubbles appeared on both of my D-pillars from the accident, and this was a Florida truck that never saw snow or been north of the Carolinas.

This isn't Cherokee-bashing, I love them to death, just not sure if a heavy engine or transmission-tunnel cutting is the best idea. Even the occasional 350 SBC conversions you see running around on big lifts don't carry as much weight as the 4BT. If I was doing a swap into a Jeep, I'd stick with a CJ/YJ/TJ due to the separate body/frame to help isolate some of the vibration over time.

Maybe steal a CRD from a Liberty/Grand Cherokee or try a VW 1.9 TDI? I had an '03 Jetta TDI, and always thought it'd be a great engine in one of my Cherokees; they're very easy to bump up to 150HP and 250lbs of torque, and you'd be getting 35+ mpg all day long, even with bigger tires, since the XJ and '99-04 Mk4 Jettas weigh the same at 3,200lbs each.

Joe

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Crusty's? Your kidding right.
They have crap service to go with there crap products.

The best long arms hands down are made by Clayton.
what he said ^^

if you are going with a kit, go clayton.

you can go with his stock springs, but something stiffer might be a good idea, especially if you want to add a big heavy bumper/winch/etc.

·
Registered
667 Posts
you can go with his stock springs, but something stiffer might be a good idea, especially if you want to add a big heavy bumper/winch/etc.
1978-1979 F150 springs will fit an XJ. Superlift makes many springs with different heights and rates for the F150. They may be able to spec out a spring for you.

·
Registered
238 Posts
FWIW, the front end of my TJ sank 2.5" after my swap.

Haven't started looking for springs yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a rustys lift not a long arm though, no complants from me, havent heard good things about there track bar though, i hear it tends to break.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts