Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have put a Cummins 4BT in my mid 70's Chevy 3/4 ton 4 WD truck. Everything looks good, but I am concerned about clearance between pan and front axle--right now it looks like about 2" which I am sure is not enough. I am quite certain I need to add a lift kit. Has anyone had experience with this truck and this conversion? I was thinking 3" would be enough--any ideas to the contrary? Also, has anyone had experience with different brand lift kits? I've never lifted a truck--whose kits are the best and worst in your estimation? Thanks for your help. Dan Smith, Tabor, SD

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a rough country kit fr/rr springs, i bought for about $600 shipped (100 shipping) came w/ everything. If I was you I'd buy a kit w/ blocks and do a shackle flip from diy4x.com or offroaddesign.com b/c the lift springs have a much harder ride than stock height ones.

how far into you swap are you? I hope to replace my chity 6.2 w/ a 4bt some day.

Wylie

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply

The motor is mounted in the frame. Most of the lines are hooked up. The tranny which is a TH350 will be changed to a 700R after my end of things is wrapped up. I was thinking I needed stiffer springs--and was going to spec Big Block springs. I believe the 4BT is probably 300#'s heavier than a small block. Any comments or ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Exactly what does the 4BT weigh? I always thought they were fairly light. Seamed to me they're around 550 fully dressed. They weigh about the same as a Ford 390 or 351W and a couple hundred less than a 460.

·
Registered
500 Posts
:eek:
I have put a Cummins 4BT in my mid 70's Chevy 3/4 ton 4 WD truck. Everything looks good, but I am concerned about clearance between pan and front axle--right now it looks like about 2" which I am sure is not enough. I am quite certain I need to add a lift kit. Has anyone had experience with this truck and this conversion? I was thinking 3" would be enough--any ideas to the contrary? Also, has anyone had experience with different brand lift kits? I've never lifted a truck--whose kits are the best and worst in your estimation? Thanks for your help. Dan Smith, Tabor, SD
What size tires will you run? I think 3" is barely going to give you enough extra clearance (for motor or large tires) if you do any off-roading mild or otherwise. 3" is sort of the cut-off on a chevy after that you've either gotta get a dropped pitman arm or the raised steering arm for the top of the axle (D44/Corp 10bolt).

Of course if you're lucky enough to have a D60 :eek: you can always do a crossover and eliminate that awful factory steering.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

The truck is a mid 70's Chevy 3/4 ton long wheelbase 4WD Chassis. I have mounted a 36 Ford cab and grill on it, constructed fenders, bumpers, running boards etc. Looks very cool. Was in Reader's Rides in Feb. 04 Petersen's 4 Wheel and Offroad. I do not intend to offroad it other than for mild work on my farm--mostly for highway driving. I was thinking 3" lift with stiffer springs would probably add about 4" or more lift from where it is now (the heavy BT4 certainly has lowered the front end some more than the SB Chevy did). And I didn't want to get into dropped pitman arms and more severe drive shaft angles. Anybody got any knowledge on manufacturers of preference in lift kits? Thanks everyone for your help. Dan Smith

·
Registered
500 Posts
Skyjacker makes a 3" softride with no adjustments in the drag-link etc. A friend has one on his 86" GMC Longbed half-ton. Sits quite nice with 33 12.50's.

SO, lets see this old ford

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Help--I want to insert picture of 36 Ford truck

I click and post a thread and then click on insert image and then drag a picture from my desktop over--but it doesn't stick. Can someone help me? Thanks:grinpimp:

·
Registered
696 Posts
I click and post a thread and then click on insert image and then drag a picture from my desktop over--but it doesn't stick. Can someone help me? Thanks:grinpimp:
There is a size limit it is different for different attachments for example the max size for a jpeg is 83k or thereabouts if you are trying to attach a jpeg larger than this it will not attach, the answer is to resize the image. I use a program called Irfanview which I believe is free to download just google it but there are lots of different ones. Hope this helps.

Gaza

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
There is a size limit it is different for different attachments for example the max size for a jpeg is 83k or thereabouts if you are trying to attach a jpeg larger than this it will not attach, the answer is to resize the image. I use a program called Irfanview which I believe is free to download just google it but there are lots of different ones. Hope this helps.

Gaza
or you can use XP's power tools, might need to have pro. but i don't know. put "xp power tools" into google and you will find it. Makes it really easy, just right click the picture and hit resize...

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
The other thing to do is use a 2'' add a leaf they use them when they put a snow plow's on up north.This would be the cheapest way to go.

They also make a 2'' lift front springs as well.

CrewCab59

·
Registered
500 Posts
Sweet looking truck. A guy around town where I grew up had one of those old Willys pickups on an early bronco 4wd frame. Looked really sweet. Similar, but not the same as your Ford.

·
Registered
99 Posts
74 blazer project

I have a 74 blazer frame I'm going to mount a 69 chevy truck cab to & I just went through the same thing. I've heard the Tuff Countyr lift kit is a good one so I called their tech dept & they recommended the 4" HD spring . They did not recommend the soft ride they said it would sag too fast. Before the lift I had about 1 1/2 - 2" between the oil pan & front housing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 4bta in a 1986 chevy the front has 2 inch pro comp springs with a dana 60. The 60 raised it 3/4 of an inch because the tube is bigger and the perches are taller from the factory. I have 3 inches from oil pan to the front axle and it has never touched with mild off roading. Some things to do are get front shackles off a 88 to 91 suburban or blazer they are way more heavy duty and they are 1/2 to 3/4 longer than the old ones. That will only give you half that amount of lift but it helps. Also off Road Design sells larger shackle bolt kits that are greasable. I think the 7/16 inch shackle bolts suck as I have had them break. One more thing is I might get longer bump stops or extend yours if you think it might ever hit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks

Thanks for the info. It's too close now for my comfort. I was thinking of specing their 3" (for a big block) so I didn't have to mess with changing pitman arms--that would probably give me close to 5" of play on the downward side and I will build stops to make sure I don't dent the pan. I'm also concerned about clearance into my buildings--one for parking it, and other other for putting it on my lift in the shop of the picutre. Thanks for your help.

·
Administrator
4,164 Posts
I'm also concerned about clearance into my buildings--one for parking it, and other other for putting it on my lift in the shop of the picutre. Thanks for your help.
We have a local one man operation muffler shop that has a shop similar in size to yours. He had a carpenter modify the ceiling into a cathedral ceiling for clearance. I know from past experiences that sometimes you have to work with what you have.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Stay away from soft ride spring ,that will sag on you.I use Super lift HD springs ,they will also sag a bit as well about 1/2 to 3/4 ''.

Now on my truck I used 8'' front springs springs and from the weight of the 6b they saged about a 1 to 1.5 '' so now the truck is level.I know the engine is bigger and so is my truck .

CrewCab59

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi on my ISB 3.9 i am going to go to a rear sump. I bought the rear sump pick up tube from Cummins and hope to just rotate pan. Not sure if you already have a rear sump but thought i would through that idea in.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts