Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping to have my motor in and the fab work done by this weekend. I want to make sure I wire the new motor the best way I can utilizing the existing 6.2 harness. I'm trying to use the factory chevy gauges and connect them to the motor where needed. Does anyone have a diagram for a OBS 1991 chevy engine compartment with the 6.2 diesel in it or now where I can get one? Any recommendations on the best way to wire the motor. It's a 1993 5.9 and I have all of the factory dodge harness and I'd like to use the intake heater and I have the relays. Is there any way to use the glow plug wire to heat the intake heater so I don't have to push a secondary button to heat the grid? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The first generation engine is basiclly a single hot wire for the fuel solenoid , just find a ignition key on from your harness .
Unless your planing on using the PCM to control the grid heaters , you can manually control those relays with a toggle switch set up or on larger ford glow plug relay .
I have a few cummins with no grid heaters or fuel heater connected and they turn right over in 30 degree weather .

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
1.The 6.2 injection pump hot wire ( pink ) that will run to the fuel shut off.
2.The oil pressure sender from the 6.2 will need to be reused .
3. The coolant temp sender will need to be reused, you'll need brass NPT adapter to fit them to the Cummins block.

4. The grid heater use a starter relay and a push buttom switch.

The stater wire will need to be moved to the other side , Make sure your using 1/0 battery or welding cable for the grounds and power supply.

The alt you'll need the voltage regulator to run the alt.After you have the engine running and everything working you can go back and start cutting the few left over wires from the engine harness or keep them and wire them back.

Scott

·
Registered
508 Posts
If you use the Dodge alternator, there are 8 wires total. That's not including any electronic sending units for oil pressure or water, my truck has analog gauges and manual sending units. Hot wire to the fuel solenoid, 2 starter wires, 4 wires to the alternator (2 field wires, a ground, and a hot wire), and tied in to one of the field wires will be a switched 12V wire. Very simple once you look at it.

Again, if you use the Dodge alternator, don't get a voltage regulator from Advance Auto, they don't work. The brand I'm refering to is BWD and the regulator case is painted gray. Look for the bare metal ones, I got mine from the local CarQuest. You can get the voltage regulator pigtail from Napa, PN: ECH VRC38. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So should I use the dodge alternator or the chevy? I saved the chevy alternator as well as the chevy a/c compressor because I wasn't sure which one to use. The original motor was the 6.2 so I was thinking about re-using the chevy alt and comp to minimize the wiring but that means I would have to fab brackets or order the kenworth bracket. I don't think the guages are manual guages on this truck but I'm not sure. I sounds like I'm going to be able to lighten that diesel harness quite a bit. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Also, Where can I get a diagram that will tell me which wires go to the guages etc? Oh yeah! I need a fan and a fan clutch for a 93 cummins. wIll it fit without hitting the factory radiator on the truck.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
So should I use the dodge alternator or the chevy? I saved the chevy alternator as well as the chevy a/c compressor because I wasn't sure which one to use. The original motor was the 6.2 so I was thinking about re-using the chevy alt and comp to minimize the wiring but that means I would have to fab brackets or order the kenworth bracket. I don't think the guages are manual guages on this truck but I'm not sure. I sounds like I'm going to be able to lighten that diesel harness quite a bit. Thanks for the help.
1. Use the dodge alt.
2. The Gauges are all mech except the Speed which is VSS.

You can only lighten up so much ,go buy a $20.00 manual if you think it will help.

Scott

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Also, Where can I get a diagram that will tell me which wires go to the guages etc? Oh yeah! I need a fan and a fan clutch for a 93 cummins. wIll it fit without hitting the factory radiator on the truck.
Your only going to have a oil and water temp , if you don't know which is which goggle the temp and oil for your year of truck .You will reuse them in the Cummins .

The fan clucth will only work if the engine is locted it the right loction and many that reuse the 1st gen dodge mounts have the engine to close because how there made and the stock fan can't be used.

Scott

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So what should I do for the fan and what about the comp? If I position the motor back far enough will the fan with a clutch work or should I do something else? Thanks For all the help.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Scott, do I need to trim the crossmember that hides the break lines so the harmonic balancer doesn't rub? Again thanks for all the help. Heath

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
So what should I do for the fan and what about the comp? If I position the motor back far enough will the fan with a clutch work or should I do something else? Thanks For all the help.
Use the stock clutch fan .You don't want your engine all the way back if so you'll never get the head off.

Scott

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Scott, do I need to trim the crossmember that hides the break lines so the harmonic balancer doesn't rub? Again thanks for all the help. Heath
All depens on what mount or how they are made,where it's located forward or back,how high or how low.

If your making your mounts and set the engine how you want and where you want it. These trucks are a cake walk to do.

Scott

1 - 12 of 12 Posts