Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1984 Chevy military M1008/K30.
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen, I need to know how much do I need to notch and drop the front crossmember on a square body K30 for the front engine mount.

·
Registered
201 Posts
By front crossmember do you mean the one with the factory motor mounts on it? It depends on whether you have a body lift or not or want to notch the pan. I eliminated mine all together and made a custom mount at the front of the engine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By front crossmember do you mean the one with the factory motor mounts on it? It depends on whether you have a body lift or not or want to notch the pan. I eliminated mine all together and made a custom mount at the front of the engine.
hey Jim, thanks for the response. Yes I've seen the crossmember on other Detroit swaps in different configurations. I have a 6 inch lift on my truck so axle clearance isn't an issue. I am going to have to lose the crossover drag link though. Do you have any drawings of your crossmember?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sorry, no drawings. I can send a pic though. Why do you need to loose the drag link? Are you using a front sump pan? If so, turn it 180 degrees , extend the oil pickup tube and it should clear everything.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, no drawings. I can send a pic though. Why do you need to loose the drag link? Are you using a front sump pan? If so, turn it 180 degrees , extend the oil pickup tube and it should clear everything.
I haven't gotten an engine yet, but it will be a rear sump. I might just get a running 4 valve core engine and rebuild it with a cross head rebuild kit. You don't live too far from me, I'm in Valley Cottage in Rockland County. A few pics would be greatly appreciated especially how you mounted the flywheel housing to the frame. I have a few ideas on that. I might just box the frame and source some common medium duty truck engine mounts. Thanks for the info. Wayne.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Rebuilding an engine and putting x-head kits in it isn't just that simple. At the very least you will also need the 2 front pulleys from a x-head engine as well as the rear cam shaft and counter shaft balance weights. I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about rear mounts until you have an engine. When you find one it'll prolly have an SAE housing on it but you might get lucky and find one with a 2 pc.hogs head flywheel housing on it , which is the one I have. The mounts on those are totally different. Silver engines are a bit hard to come by at a reasonable price. They are over hyped as far as i'm concerned. The 4-53T Green engines are a bit easier to find and will have all the automotive goodies on it ( like a L.S. governor and dry clutch/flywheel ) . Might get lucky and have an O/D trans on it too. I've sold quite a few of those engines in years past and about 25 percent of them had Clark o/d 's in them. I'll work on getting some pics for you when the ground dries up. Muddy here and I'm not a big fan of lying on my back in it to take pics.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This has why I need information from people like you Jim, I have searched endlessly through Detroit blogs and got some pretty unreliable information. Putting x pistons and a turbo on a 4053-7000 is not a problem was one of them. I really don't want to go experimenting with this. Thanks.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I did my conversion about 12 yrs ago. I had the whole thing documented with pics and on a host picture site but just let my subscription lapse. There were a lot of other guys posting on here with lots of knowledge but they seem to have drifted away or are on FB. If I were to do it again I would look for a Green T engine out of a '79-'80 C-70 dump truck.I wouldn't pay more than $2k for one and that better have an o/d trans with it. It has everything you would need for a conversion. You'll be farther ahead financially than trying to piece together one . Especially when it comes to the flywheel/clutch hsg. The right automotive dry clutch flywheel can sometimes be very difficult and expensive to get. I've got all the casting and part numbers for all that s**t so if you find anything let me know and I can run the numbers for you and let you know what it is.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Phoenix machining company as well as QuickDrawbrand.com has SAE #3 bellhousing to NV4500 trans kits that includes the flywheel, clutch fork and throw out bearing. Most of the conversions I've seen are from years ago, and they used gigantic truck transmissions. If I go with this setup I can simply bolt up my transfer case to the NV4500. Seems unnecessary to put a heavy a** medium duty clark transmission in it if there is a better option.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Not sure if you've looked at the sticky on this site yet? It goes into some detail of the Silver series engine which have cross head pistons and a host of other differences. I was going to change my green 4-53T over to silver spec, but changed my mind do to the cost. Your better off trying to find a Silver engine if you really want cross head pistons and the upgrades, far cheaper. I'm swapping a green 4-53T into a 2009 Ford F350 as we speak and hope to have it finished in a couple months. I mated the engine to the stock Ford 5R110 and transfer case so I can run the automatic. It's a lot of fun and I can't wait to get it on the road.:) Like Jim says, most of the guys with any knowledge are gone.:(

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not sure if you've looked at the sticky on this site yet? It goes into some detail of the Silver series engine which have cross head pistons and a host of other differences. I was going to change my green 4-53T over to silver spec, but changed my mind do to the cost. Your better off trying to find a Silver engine if you really want cross head pistons and the upgrades, far cheaper. I'm swapping a green 4-53T into a 2009 Ford F350 as we speak and hope to have it finished in a couple months. I mated the engine to the stock Ford 5R110 and transfer case so I can run the automatic. It's a lot of fun and I can't wait to get it on the road.
Like Jim says, most of the guys with any knowledge are gone.
I see plenty of runs great engines on the internet . Most of them are way overpriced oil fog machines.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
A 4-53t is about the same length as a 6bt Cummins, so use some Cummins ideas for length. I used an SAE# 2 bellhousing with a RR behind, side clutch housing mounts and one front mount. If you turn the pan to rear sump, if using next larger oil sump line-it will hit one rod bolt per side unless they are shortened.

Ed

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is just amazing how many knuckleheads are trying to sell Detroit's on Ebay without knowing what they are actually selling.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Found a 4-53T in GA, of course they busted the governor housing when they savagely removed it. Unreal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you aren't interested in the one in GA could you send me the info on it? What was it priced at?

I'm currently rebuilding a Brazilian 4-53T, but might be good to have a spare - and one that was assembled for packaging info.

Thank you,
Jason (in GA)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
don't buy one from adelmans truck parts.
basil
Sorry, I haven't been on here in a while. I haven't heard anything about Edelman's but I have heard some negative reviews about Old Forge Power Equipment. It figures because I'm pretty close to them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts