Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm dreaming of the next project already...The 3.9 in the 39 chevy rat rod has me inspired. That is what I really wated when I started my '62 Chevy project.
Is it possible to use the Ford manual transmission adapter (ZF-5 transmission) with the rest of the parts from a Chevy 4bt? I prefer the Chevy manifold/turbo location and hydroboost brakes. I can live with the Chevy style oil filter. From reading the Ford transmission post I am considering the ZF-5. It sounds like it is easier and cheaper to locate all the parts for that swap compared to the NV-4500. I don't think a little rat truck can get enough traction to destroy a transmission so I don't need all the HD stuff. I didn't know what starter problems there would be if any working with the Ford/Chevy combo. Or if the Ford starter cleared the Chevy mounted turbo. All I have here to look at is the Chevy stuff... My wife won't let me play with more toys. :pissed:

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm confused about the Ford/Chevy versions. My engine was bought at Adelman's in Canton, OH. It came from a Ford breadtruck with a T-19 trans. I didn't get the trans, but I got it with the bellhousing, etc. The engine is a 1990 Low Mount Rear Outlet Turbo/Exhaust with a horizontal oil filter (CPL 858). It has the Small-block Ford Adapter/Bellhousing. It also has the V-belt driven Ford vacuum pump. Some engines had Saginaw power steering pumps and some didn't. This attachment shows it unmodified (except paint and oil filter). The transmission is one that I already owned and it bolted right up.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts