Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make sure I have this right:

A 4BT from a P30 step van with the Chevy bellhousing/clutch/etc will bolt up to a Chevy NV4500, correct?

Reason I ask is I would like to use the dana 300 T case in my 54 Power Wagon (and hence lengthen my short rear driveshaft) but the D300 will only bolt to the Chevy version of the NV4500. I know I could swap out the input shaft, etc etc, but, If it is simply a matter of finding a 4BT with the chevy bellhousing for the sm420/465, that seems to be the easier way to go to me.

·
Administrator
4,198 Posts
I want to make sure I have this right:

A 4BT from a P30 step van with the Chevy bellhousing/clutch/etc will bolt up to a Chevy NV4500, correct?

Reason I ask is I would like to use the dana 300 T case in my 54 Power Wagon (and hence lengthen my short rear driveshaft) but the D300 will only bolt to the Chevy version of the NV4500. I know I could swap out the input shaft, etc etc, but, If it is simply a matter of finding a 4BT with the chevy bellhousing for the sm420/465, that seems to be the easier way to go to me.
The transmission to bellhousing to transmission bolt pattern is different between all P30 SM465 transmissions and all versions of the NV4500. GM versions from 1993 through 1995 had its own unique bolt pattern.

Past practice has indicated using the GM adapter set versions will be the most expensive route to take.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I had the GM adapter and looked into adapting an NV4500 to it. I chose to go with an all Dodge setup, it broadens the availability of parts from starter to flywheel/etc.

·
Administrator
4,198 Posts
So a chevy nv4500 bellhousing will not bolt to a gm adapter plate?
For clarification the NV4500 GM with the integral hydraulic clutch release bearing assembly will bolt up to the Cummins adapter plate. The "iffy area" is to whether the hydraulic clutch with function properly with the clearances provided.

I read the original question as being will the P30 SM465 bellhousing bolt up to the GM NV4500 and the answer is no due to the different bolt pattern.

so, easiest thing would be to get a chev 4500, and change the input to use the the dodge setup? Well, I guess thats not so painful. Where in the world do I get a dodge input?
Only if it is a 1996 or newer GM version.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
so, easiest thing would be to get a chev 4500, and change the input to use the the dodge setup? Well, I guess thats not so painful. Where in the world do I get a dodge input?
www.rsgear.com should be able to help you, along with any other nv4500 part supplier

and yes you need the newer style chevy nv4500, 1996 i think is the cutoff, to run the dodge input.

you will need to run the bigger input 1 1/4" instead of 1 1/8" to run the cummins clutch. I think you can run the smaller input and run a standard duty clutch but i'm not sure how. nhdiesel i think did in his Durango though.

you could swap the mainshaft into a dodge unit to but more work. can't you get a 23spline input for the d300 too? that would be a dodge standard duty main shaft.

·
Administrator
4,198 Posts
www.rsgear.com

you will need to run the bigger input 1 1/4" instead of 1 1/8" to run the cummins clutch. I think you can run the smaller input and run a standard duty clutch but i'm not sure how. nhdiesel i think did in his Durango though.

You can swap out the input shafts between the GM & Dodge versions in 1996 and newer but you can not use a Dodge Cummins flywheel inside of the Chevy adapter and Chevy bellhousing. These parts must remain with their parent configurations; either all GM or all Dodge Cummins as a set. The starter ring gears are different diameters and the starters will not work or interchange.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, to recap, and make sure I have this 110% correct:

Dodge CTD bellhousing/flywheel/clutch (6 BT ram stuff)
Dodge input shaft
96+ Chevy 4500
AA or JB Conversions D300 to 4500 Adapter
Jeep D300

Now, about this front bearing retainer thing... Can I use the Chevy bearing retainer with the dodge input, and will it work right? This is a Hydro throwout bearing right (no fork style)?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
You can swap out the input shafts between the GM & Dodge versions in 1996 and newer but you can not use a Dodge Cummins flywheel inside of the Chevy adapter and Chevy bellhousing. These parts must remain with their parent configurations; either all GM or all Dodge Cummins as a set. The starter ring gears are different diameters and the starters will not work or interchange.
i was assuming all dodge parts from the conversation in this thread. but yes, you need to keep the gm stuff with gm and dodge stuff with dodge.

you might as well get a dodge nv4500 if you need an adapter to mate to the D300 :confused:

i don't know about bearing retainer crossfitment.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
problem isnt bolting the D300 to the 4500, problem is the 4500 output. The d300 only has a 32 spline in. JB or JT,(cant remember) conversions makes a 29 spine input for the d300, but, the dodge output is 23, so that wont help me either. I need the chevy 4500 for the output, and the dodge input for the mate up to the 4BT.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
problem isnt bolting the D300 to the 4500, problem is the 4500 output. The d300 only has a 32 spline in. JB or JT,(cant remember) conversions makes a 29 spine input for the d300, but, the dodge output is 23, so that wont help me either. I need the chevy 4500 for the output, and the dodge input for the mate up to the 4BT.
dodge is both 23 and 29 spline output. 29 spline in the NV4500HD behind the CTD's/V10's 23 spline is automatic and standard duty NV4500SD

anyways, why not a jeep d300? they are 23 spline i'm pretty sure: http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/model_300.htm

·
Registered
64 Posts
I used a (or what I was to was a) 95' Small block Chevy NV4500 bolted to a breadvan chevy adapter (no adapting issues). Got my cummins flywheel from Proffitt's cruisers (heavy and a bit more expensive than the standard dodge one i believe). Clutch kit from carquest, long throwout from autozone (both the clutch and bearing part numbers can be found by a search on this site). All bolted together and is currently running around town. I did this because I had the chevy transmission in hand already bolted to my LC T-case. Not sure about the economics but this was the quickest and easiest rout to go for me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wrong on the input there chief. The D300 is a 23 slpine input and it is the same as the NP231. The 32 pline is a aftermarket converion. So if your NV 4500 is 23 then your set. I wish I had bought the Cummins NV4500 that was for sale round here, my friend converted it to a GM for the guy. I would have gladly swapped it for a 92-94 GM NV4500 with the lower granny gear. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
For clarification the NV4500 GM with the integral hydraulic clutch release bearing assembly will bolt up to the Cummins adapter plate. The "iffy area" is to whether the hydraulic clutch with function properly with the clearances provided.

I read the original question as being will the P30 SM465 bellhousing bolt up to the GM NV4500 and the answer is no due to the different bolt pattern.

Only if it is a 1996 or newer GM version.
In regards to the clutch, I used a early 2000s dodge hydralic clutch master cylinder in my 1993 chummins build.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts