Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
also I think you should have the bolt at the axel end of the bar in double shear.
You're right, I missed that. Heims really need to be in double shear. Also I would change that joint to a rubber bushing like the upper end. I had a heim on one end of my front panhard and soft poly bushing on the other. They were both worn out within 10k miles. The difference is the bushing cost $10 to replace with a harder one which lasted much longer, and the heim was about $30 at failed again just as fast.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The bolt itself isnt in any shear.... the heim joint slides over a tube welded in the center of the mounting... the bolt in the picture simply just 'caps' it on top of the tube.....

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
What I'm saying is there needs to be something on both sides to keep the heim from coming off if the body pops off the ball. Is the bolt head big enough to capture the body?

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
The bolt itself isnt in any shear.... the heim joint slides over a tube welded in the center of the mounting... the bolt in the picture simply just 'caps' it on top of the tube.....
the tube or whatever you use to secure the heim should be in double shear. in single shear, as you show it, the tube is constantly flexed side to side and will eventually fail. double shear will keep your butt in the driver seat, not repairing the mount and washing out your shorts !! the tube is not nearly as strong as a solid shaft or bolt. per the pictures, you have the mount tacked together. it would be really easy to knock it off and re-do it like you did to the 4 link mounts. scoot the mount forward to the front edge of the axel tube and you can get nearly perfect track bar angles. hang in there and keep up the good work

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
3rd, I would change that axle mount to a double shear and make the axle mount higher, I posted 2 links in your build up thread.

Scott

·
Registered
146 Posts
Suggestion on that multi link air bag suspenson,

Regarding the clearance on the panhard, Try looking up the Shelby GT 500 rear suspension. As I recall it was a three link set up with a torqe bar and a panhard. The thing that made the panhard stand out was that it was a multi-link panhard. The axle had a knuckle on top of the pumkin for the panhard to tie into.

Such a set up would take care of your clerance problem. It would also keep the axle in the middle. With a single panhard set up like yours, there will be some deviation(side to side movement) as a result of the arc of the panhard.

Good luck finding the skematics on this. If you're interested, I can sketch it from memory to give you another idea.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There are a few fixes to all problem.
The pan hard bar can be moved front or back of the axle center line. It can also have a curve bent into it to help get clearance with out having a huge mounts to have it stand off.
The triangle 4 link is a more complex design and it takes more special brackets. Factory cars have them as the help handling. The reason the aftermarket does not offer them is they try to make a kit as much of a bolt on as they can. There is a site that when I get to my to rig I am going to use that is for making a triangle 4 link at Ruff Stuff Specialties. I am choosing this over a parallel 4 link kit as most 4 link kits have short links and with my tow rig being long and heavy and carrying weight I want longer links that will help to transfer weight to the rear to help with traction. Also with a pan hard bar your rear axle will swing in an arch in short travel suspensions you don't see this affect but in suspension that have a longer travel you could bump fenders. I have read a lot about suspension designs and have fixed a few of my friends trucks that the aftermarket kits where not designed right for there application. I believe custom work does not work good with a run of the mill aftermarket part that they make for a large market and several applications. I do believe they are good for some. But some of the pictures you have posted I have seen look like you have access to full machine and welding shops.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There are a few fixes to all problem.
The pan hard bar can be moved front or back of the axle center line. It can also have a curve bent into it to help get clearance with out having a huge mounts to have it stand off.
The triangle 4 link is a more complex design and it takes more special brackets. Factory cars have them as the help handling. The reason the aftermarket does not offer them is they try to make a kit as much of a bolt on as they can. There is a site that when I get to my to rig I am going to use that is for making a triangle 4 link at Ruff Stuff Specialties. I am choosing this over a parallel 4 link kit as most 4 link kits have short links and with my tow rig being long and heavy and carrying weight I want longer links that will help to transfer weight to the rear to help with traction. Also with a pan hard bar your rear axle will swing in an arch in short travel suspensions you don't see this affect but in suspension that have a longer travel you could bump fenders. I have read a lot about suspension designs and have fixed a few of my friends trucks that the aftermarket kits where not designed right for there application. I believe custom work does not work good with a run of the mill aftermarket part that they make for a large market and several applications. I do believe they are good for some. But some of the pictures you have posted I have seen look like you have access to full machine and welding shops.
I know I am pretty late on this thread but that's because I just got my P30 and still 9 years later I am facing the problem you were, I cannot find any parts for a 4 link but after doing some home work I don't think a bolt on kit is optimal vs one that someone did all the calculations for pertaining to this specific chassis so I'd prefer to build one, anyhow, do you still have the van? how'd she come out? and it would be greatly appreciated, if you would share your data you collected for your build, I have a full machine shop with a water jet cutting table so I will get really creative fabing my link bars out of the optimal thickness steel plate and most likely using a 40 series alloy steel over A-36 mild creating the strongest 4 link to go on a P30 that has ever been implemented for this application literally, so for your data, if you'd like, I'm not gonna pay for your steel or to ship it to you but if you provide material and shipping in case you aren't in so cal, I'll make two and you can easily swap yours out for the one I design using your data since it will share identical geometry, then possibly if the demand presents itself we could also work out a profit share percentage if they fly off shelves, but it sounds like you worked hard to gather your data and build this so even if you would just hand me the data, I would have to offer this to you because it's the right thing to do. I'm in business and what I think is the most disgusting loser and pathetic thing that exists in biz is how common everyone that happen to be competitors are just absolutely cut throat and skanless towards one and other and have no problem doing what ever it takes to steal all the competitors clientele to the point they put their competitor out of business and feel good about it and treat it like something to celebrate, it's too common place these days and especially for american businesses to be operating this way, I feel as if we have adopted china's business ethics because that's how they conduct business and they see nothing wrong with it, healthy competition is the way America should be conducting business but we're not, we're snakes towards one and other and there's nothing american about it, there's far more than enough clientele in a cast majority of all industries but that's not good enough, even though I'm eating good I dont want you to eat, I want to be a pig, a gluten, I'm full but I want you to be hungry, that's the way most companies operate these days and it's fucking pathetic. Anyhow, if you'd like that's my offer for your 4 link data cause time is money and I really prefer to double check someones data rather than start from scratch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know I am pretty late on this thread but that's because I just got my P30 and still 9 years later I am facing the problem you were, I cannot find any parts for a 4 link but after doing some home work I don't think a bolt on kit is optimal vs one that someone did all the calculations for pertaining to this specific chassis so I'd prefer to build one, anyhow, do you still have the van? how'd she come out? and it would be greatly appreciated, if you would share your data you collected for your build, I have a full machine shop with a water jet cutting table so I will get really creative fabing my link bars out of the optimal thickness steel plate and most likely using a 40 series alloy steel over A-36 mild creating the strongest 4 link to go on a P30 that has ever been implemented for this application literally, so for your data, if you'd like, I'm not gonna pay for your steel or to ship it to you but if you provide material and shipping in case you aren't in so cal, I'll make two and you can easily swap yours out for the one I design using your data since it will share identical geometry, then possibly if the demand presents itself we could also work out a profit share percentage if they fly off shelves, but it sounds like you worked hard to gather your data and build this so even if you would just hand me the data, I would have to offer this to you because it's the right thing to do. I'm in business and what I think is the most disgusting loser and pathetic thing that exists in biz is how common everyone that happen to be competitors are just absolutely cut throat and skanless towards one and other and have no problem doing what ever it takes to steal all the competitors clientele to the point they put their competitor out of business and feel good about it and treat it like something to celebrate, it's too common place these days and especially for american businesses to be operating this way, I feel as if we have adopted china's business ethics because that's how they conduct business and they see nothing wrong with it, healthy competition is the way America should be conducting business but we're not, we're snakes towards one and other and there's nothing american about it, there's far more than enough clientele in a cast majority of all industries but that's not good enough, even though I'm eating good I dont want you to eat, I want to be a pig, a gluten, I'm full but I want you to be hungry, that's the way most companies operate these days and it's fucking pathetic. Anyhow, if you'd like that's my offer for your 4 link data cause time is money and I really prefer to double check someones data rather than start from scratch.
Haha!!! Pardon my not being the most tech savy when it comes to internet correspondence, forums and well I dont use social media so I guess it ends at forums but that's pretty fuckin sweet, I just realized you mr. Hellbound arent the creator of this thread therefor are also not the builder of this suspension, hahaha!!! thats classic, oh well, hopefully dude will see this and respond, kinda over it at the moment but maybe I'll come back later and copy then paste it to homeboy's first inquiry which started this thread.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
You were replying to an old thread. This person was last seen on here about 9 years ago, not much chance that he (or she) will see this...

hellbound
Registered · From Kansas
Joined Jun 17, 2011
Last seen Jul 29, 2011

also, the original poster has drifted away

47Ford - 1.5Ton

Registered · From Green Bay, WI
Joined Mar 31, 2008
Last seen Feb 3, 2017

I am having trouble following your 2 posts above, paragraphs would help.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts