Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a VE pump 4bt out of a Chevy bread van. It has the SM465 bolted behind it. My question is this, if I remove the transmission and flywheel, the back of the 4bt is now basically a first gen small block chevy correct? So if i wanted an automatic, all I would need would be a flexplate, torque converter and whatever automatic that will bolt to the back of a smallblock. Am I correct in my thinking?

·
Registered
127 Posts
You are correct . Is your adapter a straight up or canted adapter ? Just besure to get the correct flexplate and you are good to go. Be aware that diesel stall speed is much less than a gas stall speed

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont know if mine is canted or straight. the engine sat straight in the bread truck i removed it from. and the engine sits straight with the shift lever straight in the air. so i am assuming it is the straight adapter. Which flexplate would i need? I am currently plannin to install the 4bt in to a 2002 grand cherokee. i was originally thinking of going with a 47rh transmission and a 242 transfer case. my requirements for a transmission are it has to have overdrive and it has to be aitomatic.

·
Registered
860 Posts
sell all the chevy stuff to someone that really wants it---buy the dodge stuff you really want--then take the little lady out for a fun weekend with the left over cash---that way every one is happy....

·
Registered
12,433 Posts
If your adapter plate is the stock Cummins part it is tilted. If you removed the flywheel you'd see only 7 bolts holding it to the block where the Ford or Dodge which is straight up uses 8. About the only GM transmission the guys have found acceptable is the 4L80e. Most anything else seems to die a slow to quick death behind a diesel. The Dodge 47RH seems to get the nod more than any auto.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I had a GM adapter that was straight up non canted that came with a SM465 attached with GM bellhousing . Just count the bolts attaching it to the block . 8 straight up and 7 canted . Straight up GM adapter is a valuable part to sell or swap parts to .

·
Registered
12,433 Posts
Are you sure that was a GM adapter plate? Only the Fords were vertical with 8 bolts. All GM's were 7 bolts. Sure that transmission wasn't a T19 instead of SM465?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you sure that was a GM adapter plate? Only the Fords were vertical with 8 bolts. All GM's were 7 bolts. Sure that transmission wasn't a T19 instead of SM465?
It came out of a Chevy bread van, and the markings on the transmission google as an SM465. Death Row Dave in the above post said he had a straight up Chevy plate as well.

·
Administrator
4,180 Posts
It came out of a Chevy bread van, and the markings on the transmission google as an SM465. Death Row Dave in the above post said he had a straight up Chevy plate as well.
Show us a picture of it. I dismantled TWO Chevy P30's that had the Ford BW transmission in both retrofits.

Reactions: SUBRUTUS

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here are a few pics. One of the adapter. One of the front of the bellhousing. One of the back of the 4bt and the other of the casting marks on the transmission. I don't think Ford would mark GM on their transmissions.

Auto part Engine

Auto part Engine Auto part Engine

Auto part Engine

Close-up Photography Technology Electronic device

·
Registered
12,433 Posts
Is there a Cummins part # on the adapter plate. That one has to be a sort of rare bird. All the ones we ever see are the tilted versions. That one is definitely not Ford.

·
Administrator
4,180 Posts
That adapter looks tilted to me. Show me a picture of the reverse side of picture #1 above.

·
Registered
784 Posts
That adapter looks tilted to me. Show me a picture of the reverse side of picture #1 above.
I agree it looks to be tilted.
The top bolt on the left side looks to be closer to the point of the adapter then the right one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts