Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Keep thinking about how I'm going to do my mounts in my CJ. Been looking a lot at http://www.farmstronginc.com/Jeep-Motor-Mounts.html only issue I have about them is they are for a YJ with a drivers side drop transfer case. As such they position the motor 1" to the passenger side, while in a YJ they would give more room for transfer case and drive shaft.

Was wondering if anyone on here has ran these mounts in a CJ, and how was the clearance on the transfer case and drive shaft?

Was debating on getting them and modifying them to move the motor 2" to the drivers side but, for the cost I would hate cut them up and then not be able to get them to work like I want.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I have the farm strong mounts for my YJ, they look fairly generic minus the port for the turbo oil drain which I'm not even sure which turbo they were designed for...

Twiisted used them for his cj7 project, its probably buried in the build threads by now since he left the forum some time ago

Jake

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found Twisted's build, his was also a YJ he put a postal grill on. So his was also driver side drop transfer case. Talked to TJ Legel from Farm Strong, he is looking at producing mounts for CJ, YJ, TJ, JK and XJ and probably full size Chevy's as well eventually.

·
Registered
950 Posts
IIRC it was like an 86 cj7 that was in his sig for years? his thread title read CJ overbuild and I remember him recommending the mounts for a YJ because they are well designed but he had cut/modify his a little for a cj frame

But then again, I think he put those postal head lights in place of square lights, so I guess Im not positive what he ended up frankensteining lol

I have a getrag 5 speed (Pass drop 89-93 cummins) that Im aiming to use in mine

Jake

·
Registered
950 Posts
Ah!

I found his old thread and reread it. I see it was a yj frame and he only modified for A/C.

If you want, I can give you measurements of mine and you can make similar ones but more suited to the build?

Jake

·
Registered
25 Posts
I put the farm strong mounts in my ,1980 cj 5,had to do slight mods since the cj frame is narrower than the yj,I'm running the stock ,t176 trans and ,Dana 300 transfer case.I bolted everything together,than mounted trans in original mounting position.trimmed mounts to fit,no front driveshaft issues

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys,
Its been 5 years since this thread was active.
Please share your stories of which mounts you used & how they withstood time & use.
And, what would you do different if you built it again??
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys,
Its been 5 years since this thread was active.
Please share your stories of which mounts you used & how they withstood time & use.
And, what would you do different if you built it again??
Thanks!
I ended up going with the Farm Strong mounts. TJ Legel sent me what I think was the first set of CJ mounts he did. The CJ mounts do offset the motor to the driver's side to clear the drive shaft. Still a work in progress so can't give a real world review yet. But, will tell you they were very nice to work with for mounting to the frame even though I did modify them. I can't have anything on this jeep it seems without modifying it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts