Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Busted trannyI need to buy a new one but want to get one I can use the easiest with the 4bt. can anyone tell me wich nv4500 i need to make my 83cj7 258 i6 work for now until i do a 4bt swap

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm not aware of any heavy duty five speeds that will bolt up to an AMC engine and any of the common flywheel housing patterns without an expensive adapter. Which transmission are you running now?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it was a t-5-5speed but is is nothing but a bunch of shredded metal now. i was planning on getting the adapter but hoping I could get the tranny that would bolt up to a 4bt if that is possible without additional adapters.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sorry. Go buy an old beater to drive while you do your drivetrain swap.:D

·
Registered
292 Posts
the nv4500 options you have depend on which bellhosuing you intend to use

you can get any ole 94-03 nv4500 then use the AA bellhousing and get the GM 6.5" long input and use a dodge bearing retainer machined down to use the gm throwout bearing works well with nv4500 tying it to a amc motor. heck i think i saw a used bell, input and bearing retainer combo for sale on craigs list recently i'll have to search i think total was $445 or something like that. anyways its the same combo i used in my chief. really clean install. then for mine i jsut installed the old input shaft and a new bearing retainer intothe nv4500 in the vehicle and was done

the other option is get a dodge nv4500 from a diesel use a AA adapter plate and AMC bellhousing and new clutch

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is a 4bt's bell housing satandard? what size model number? I just want the nv4500 I get to fit the 4bt" bell housing. without additional adapters

·
Registered
27 Posts
is a 4bt's bell housing satandard? what size model number? I just want the nv4500 I get to fit the 4bt" bell housing. without additional adapters

No, the back of the 4bt block is a generic bolt pattern the same as the 6bt. You need the appropriate flywheel housing that then adapts to the bellhousing of your choice.

The flywheel housing bolts to the back of the block, your bellhousing then bolts to it.

I know of ford, chevy, dodge and several SAE adapters (flyhweel housing).

If you don't allready have a NV4500 the easiest way to do it is to get all the stuff from a Diesel Dodge. If you have a later model Chevy NV4500 the easiest way is to change the input shaft to the Dodge version and use the Dodge adapter, flywheel, clutch and bellhousing.

There is also a Chevy adapter out there, but they are hard to find and have a tilt built into them. The Dodge is easier to come by and has more options for clutchs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts