Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

101 - 120 of 132 Posts

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Since I am waiting on a drive shaft so I can set my pinion angle on the rear axle and start that build. Decided to work on the trans cover. Originally planed on re-using the factory one but, after I started clearancing it for the NV4500, I figured out there wasn't going to be much left of it. So started mock-up for a whole new one.

Anyone but me hate mock-up? Started on it this morning walked away. Then sitting watching a stupid movie a solution came to me. Went out and messed with it some more. Got almost 3/4 the way done, then ran out of imagination and beer! Do know I need to move the shifter hole 1" further forward.

trans cover mockup.jpg

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Anyone else get anxious waiting for the next part to arrive? Won't be able to pick up my rear drive shaft till next Monday.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Since I am waiting on a drive shaft so I can set my pinion angle on the rear axle and start that build. Decided to work on the trans cover. Originally planed on re-using the factory one but, after I started clearancing it for the NV4500, I figured out there wasn't going to be much left of it. So started mock-up for a whole new one.

Anyone but me hate mock-up? Started on it this morning walked away. Then sitting watching a stupid movie a solution came to me. Went out and messed with it some more. Got almost 3/4 the way done, then ran out of imagination and beer! Do know I need to move the shifter hole 1" further forward.

View attachment 119281
I think I'd make the shifter hole large enough to access the shifter bolts and remove the shifter without removing the trans cover.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
It's an early Dodge NV4500. The shifter is held on with a collar, not bolted. The whole trans cover will unbolt to access the trans top.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Did some running today, picked up the rear driveshaft and yoke. Next time I get to work on the Jeep I can put it in and get my pinion angle set so I can start on my rear axle build.

Drive shaft.jpg

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
So, today I figured out why I like doing business with brick and mortar stores. Even though I had a lot of other stuff to do, I went out and put the drive shaft in and set my pinion angle. Was going to weld on the spring mounts but, wanted to locate my bearing housings. Figured out the housings I bought in January were wrong! Called Quick Performance in Ames just for ****s and giggles. They told me no problem bring them in and they would switch me for the ones I need. Try doing that with an online supplier!

·
Registered
10,791 Posts
Yes, the internet is not the source of all good things. Sometimes the mom and pop stores might be a few bucks more but you're dealing with a different class of people.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Yes, the internet is not the source of all good things. Sometimes the mom and pop stores might be a few bucks more but you're dealing with a different class of people.
Yep, had the drive shaft made at a local shop also. Nothing better than throwing ideas back and forth with someone that knows the in and outs of a product, while leaning on the counter. If it is reasonable difference in the cost I always shop local. Just wish I had the money for the rest of the axle parts. Would pick them up when I stop for my bearing housings.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #109 (Edited)
One of the things I've always been OCD about is I always tear apart and inspect every used part I'm putting into service. Doesn't matter if it's from the junk yard or from a friend. Been messing around getting ready to build the 9" Ford axle that was under my Jeep when I got it. Knew from when I tore it apart the first time to cut it down the setup was bad. The carrier had around 0.20" side play instead of pre-load. This is only the second axle I've built, the first one is the front axle for the CJ. But, I don't think this is a typical gear wear pattern!

Too bad because It's starting to look like I'm going to run over budget on this build and it already had the 3.50 ratio in it I want for the 33-35" tires I'm going to run.

pinion.jpg

ring gear.jpg

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Got the spring mounts welded on today, and filled the original vent hole. It was going to be too close to the u-bolts to get the brake lines in.

spring mount.jpg

Since I'm inventing this Jeep as I go and had to relocate the vent anyway. I realized I had a lot of clearance above the pumpkin, and if I put it in the middle I wouldn't need to have as long of a flexible hose on it when I was flexed out.

vent.jpg

Since I had the rear U-bolt skid plates off I went ahead and drilled them for the shock mounts, blasted and painted them.

skid.jpg

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Little slow down today. Had a Ford 9" jig that a friend said I could borrow to get mine welded up. Problem is he went to did it out this morning and remembered he had used the 1.25" cold rolled shaft to fix some equipment, all he had was the alignment pucks. So I didn't run down to get it, he's 1.5 hours round trip from me and my steel supplier is 2 hours round trip the other way! Plus they aren't open on weekends.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Well, one more slow down. Dropped the axle off at a guys place to have the ends welded on. Before I got home he had called. The slugs for his jig would not fit the bearing housings I had bought. He measured them at 3.144-3.145" ID. His slugs measure 3.149" same as the bearings for the axles. Ford's bearing housing is normally 3.150" ID. Called the company I bought them from and they said that their ends were machined to a 3.145 ID for a more press fit, unlike one's from Curry that are machined to 3.150" ID. Since the guy that is going to weld the ends on does not normally use the ends I got he really doesn't want to modify his jig slugs, which I don't blame him. So now I have to pay a machine shop to modify the ends I have since Curry ones are shorter and my axle tubes would be too short.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Suffered from a total lack of ambition this weekend. Did get the 31 spline Ford 9" tool finished. All is left is to build the spanner wrench to adjust the carrier side bearing preload.

1450.jpg

1449.jpg

Finished up modifying the TJ bumper and tire carrier by converting the tire carrier to 5x5.5" wheel bolt pattern. Cut the flange off the old axle shaft and welded it in place.

1448.jpg

Tried sandblasting the finish off the tire mount but, even though it grinds off easy. Going to have to go to something more aggressive than crushed glass to get it blasted clean for finishing

1447.jpg

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Got tired of not being able to open and close the hood on the Jeep. Since I had some time left after taking down Christmas lights decided to work on the lip on the back of the late CJ hood. So it wouldn't catch on the rain gutter on the early CJ fire wall.

1470.jpg

Took a couple hours with a hammer and dolly but, got it beat flat.

1471.jpg

Can finally open and close the hood without catching on the cowl rain gutter.

1472.jpg

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Since part of the look of an early CJ is the snorkel opening. The late model hood I'm running didn't come with one. Problem solved.

If nothing else it aught to confuse the hell out of the armchair JEEP experts when they see it sitting at the fuel pump, And realize it's not an early bull dog front clip!

Hood 4.jpg

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Laying on my side in the Jeep this afternoon shaping some metal covering myself with hot metal slivers from the carbide bit on my die grinder. Did figure out there is one thing those TV automotive shows I'm always laughing at do have that I would love to have.

That crew of craftsmen that come in after the cameras are shut off and do all the piddly little detail work!

101 - 120 of 132 Posts