Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

121 - 132 of 132 Posts

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Just a quick update, I haven't given up my build. Just been getting other stuff done around the house so I can play some more on it. Have the hogs head cleaned up and the Detroit Locker for the 9" ready to go as soon as I get the ring and pinion bought.

9" clean.jpg

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Lots of small odds and ends done in the shop today.

But, since I finally got the ring and pinion for my 9" figured I'd at least bolt the ring gear onto the Detroit. That and I wanted to see if my tool I made worked to torque the ring bolts. Pleasantly surprised how nice it made it. Just wish my good vise wasn't on the work bench. Bench is tall for working on small parts. Ring bolts ended up at my chin level!

Ring.jpg

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Serious lack of ambition today, did make it to the shop for a while after the end of the Indianapolis 500. Made the last 2 tools I needed to do the 9" for the Jeep.

Made a spanner to adjust the carrier bearings on the differential. And a tool to hold the 1350 yoke when I torque the pinion nut.

1523.jpg

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Home made tool for setting carrier bearing preload worked great.

1524.jpg

Setup on the Ford 9" is definitely easier than the Dana 44!

1525.jpg

Pumpkin bolted in place with new hardware.

1526.jpg

All back together, finally. If I had tires it would be a roller!

1527.jpg

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Couple more parts ordered today for my CJ6. Ran to Ottumwa and ordered a swinging pedal assembly and clutch master cylinder from a Roxor. Been reading on it and sounds like they are a wonderful fit. Will look a little more at the OEM Roxor installation when I go down to pick them up.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Times like this I really wish I could afford those fancy metal fab tools they have on TV!

1563.jpg

1564.jpg

All major bends done, will have to finesse all the parts together to get them into a final shape that resembles a transmission hump. Later on I will have to build a tower for the shifter boot and for the transfer case levers. First I need to make the transfer case levers!

1565.jpg

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Been a while since I could work on the Jeep, Managed to get a day with nothing else pressing.

Finally got time to work on the Jeep again. Last time I was trying to figure out how to do the trans tunnel. Finally decided that I was not going to make it with 4 main parts. So the sides I cut in half. Figured out my CAD parts were able to move easier than the metal parts! Got 3/4 of the passenger side done today.

Trans tunnel 1.jpg

When I cut the passenger side panels apart I found that there is no way I was going to make it work the way I originally had planned. Will probably start over with a new chunk of sheet metal for the front instead of trying to put a filler in.

Trans tunnel 2.jpg

Drivers side is going to be interesting since I need to reuse part of the original trans tunnel to clear the fuel tank.

Trans tunnel 3.jpg

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #129 (Edited)
Finally all done with holidays and deer season. Able to get back on the Jeep again. Finished up the passenger side.

Trans tunnel 2.JPG

Got a start on the driver's side. Once the last piece is done I'll have to go through and do some final finish grinding on it. Only 1 small fire, found a ACE Hardware bag under the Jeep!

Once this is done I'll have to make a tower for the shifter boot and one on the passenger side for the transfer case shifter.

Trans tunnel 3.JPG

tag

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Finally submitted my dash board design to Double D Fabrication, LLC. Hopefully in the next 4-6 months I'll have my dash. Not that I figure it will take that long for them to cut and bend it but, figure will be a few times emailing back and forth till the plan is finalized!

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Got the driver's side welded in place this afternoon. Just need more 1/4" hardware to finish the installation.

Trans tunnel 4.JPG

Trans tunnel 5.JPG

·
Registered
89 Posts
Very nice work. I saw some of your posts perhaps on the Earlycj5 site before photoshop went under, is that possible? Here is my 6. I have the thread on here for the 88 wrangler right now.

121 - 132 of 132 Posts