Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

141 - 145 of 145 Posts

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #141 (Edited)
Now that the steering column location has been completed I can start on modifying the Roxor clutch and brake pedals to fit. The 3 mounting tabs that normally mount to the dash needs to disappear and, the column clamp needs replaced since I've got a 2" column instead of a 1 3/4" like the older Jeeps and the Roxor has. Also I need to widen the assembly by an inch, centering the column in the dashboard mount.

pedals 1.JPG

Made a plate out of 7 gauge to mount the brake and clutch assembly to the dash. This dash has a steering column plate similar to the intermediate dash. The dash had nuts welded to the back of it the column mount bolted to those, ground them off for a flat surface. With this plate the column mount will bolt to the pedal mounting plate and sandwich the dash between. This will definitely stiffen the dash at the steering column.

pedals 2.JPG

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Got the pedal mounts pretty much done except for the clamp for the steering column I'll add after the column is in it's final position. Widened it out some to clear the mounting bolts for the dash mount.

pedals 3.JPG

The steering column clamp will go in here where I removed the Roxor clamp.

pedals 4.JPG

Thought I had it more centered than this while I was laying under the dash trying to hold into position. I'm 1/4" off center even though it looks worse than that from here but I don't think I'm going to worry about something I'll basically never see when done.

pedals 5.JPG

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
So, one reason it seems to be taking so long to get this Jeep done is I seem to do stuff twice. Got my steering column fully mounted. Then decided I didn't like the final angle. So changed it from 45 degree angle going through the toe board to 30 degree angle going through the fire wall.

Had to cut 1/2" off the floor mount to make it fit in the area left below the pedal mount and bend. Also had to modify the floor mount to allow it to flex at higher angle. Now I need to fill the holes I made in the toe board but, do like the position better. And yes it's getting humid around here, had to spray the dash down with WD-40 to stop it until I can get it into primer.

Steering column.JPG

Also by having the column coming through where it is now it makes the linkage easier to run also, was going to have to use a 3rd U-joint and a carrier bearing.

Steering Column 2.JPG

Thought I had the dash mount completed also but thin I need to cut it back apart and change it to match the 30 degree angle of the column.

Dash Mount.JPG

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
FYI, this build is not dead. Just been busy dealing with other stuff over the last few months!

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
I have 16 years total in mine so far, and it is just about "almost" done. But I have been driving it for a year and a half so I guess that is worth something?

Just stick with it and don't give up. You'll get there as long as the Democrats don't outlaw vehicles with Internal Combustion Engines.

I don't think 4BT's will make it into the Green New Deal.

Randy

141 - 145 of 145 Posts