Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 4b in my shop that came from an auction. It is pretty clean and in good shape. I am getting ready to pressure wash it and would like to repaint it. Does anyone have any proven strategies or paint brands that I should use, or stay away from? Thanks.

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Of course with any painting the prep can make the difference. Depending on what color you plan to use, might consider Cummins paint. Basically, you have the stock tan color or newer red. Not exactly the cheapest paint around but the stuff tends to stay where you put it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've got a 4b in my shop that came from an auction. It is pretty clean and in good shape. I am getting ready to pressure wash it and would like to repaint it. Does anyone have any proven strategies or paint brands that I should use, or stay away from? Thanks.
I have not had any luck with paint out of a rattle can, they just don't seem to hold up in the long run. Pressure washing wont be sufficient by its self you need to remove all contaminates: including oily residue, loose paint and rust. I just painted mine; After wire brushing the block I used POR15 Cleaner & Degreaser, followed by Metal Prep, followed by POR15 Rust Preventive; They also have a solvent or thinner to be used as a reducer to help when spraying. It was a little work but worth the effort. For paint I used Eastwood High Temp ceramic Engine Paint (not for use in Cali) which has a much nicer look then the Por15 color coat I used on the transmission.
IMG_0554.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts